108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Flapping ports on 4000m and 4140gl switches

SOLVED
Go to solution
Søren Fisker
Advisor

Wojtek: I'm sorry to say that we didn't get anywhere at all. Nothing, zilch, zero, zip.

Les: When you say power management, do you mean in device manager, select the NIC, and then the power management tab?

So this means, that Realtek, Broadcom and Intel NICs shouldn't be used with HP network equipment?

Or that Windows XP SP2 is incompatible with HP network?

Or that XPSP2's power management is broken?

And that HPs desktops (Evo510, 530, dc7100) and laptops (nx5000, nx7010, nx6110) are incompatible with HP network?

No matter what - it sucks.

S.
Søren Fisker
Advisor

Anyone tried this:

How to disable Media Sensing for TCP/IP in Windows:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239924

?

Soren
Magnus_18
Advisor

Soren:

Have you tried different patch cables? (or maybe even connecting a computer directly to a switch without going through patch panels)

In my experience flapping ports usually occurs because of bad cables.
Jeanniard

Hello,

I encounter the same problem on multiple 2650 switchs only for 5 month ago. I've posted some informations on the thread : 85666 for that.
We have a large network with approximately 30x2650, 3x2626, 4 HP5308xl and Cisco 2950/3550/3750 with cat 5e + Cat6 brand new ITT cabling system. Port flapping appears on all 2650 switchs (actually we qualify that toggle doesn't appear on 2626 switchs) sometimes and with no reasons.
We have updated all the switchs to H.08.69 firmware this week, test some things from forum like power management and updating drivers but the problem still appears (we have tried to modify rstp, cdp, flow control, LACP, speed-duplex negociation, mdi-mdix negociation, ports and cables).
HP tells us that no know problem exists about that !
So, I would try to modify Windows registry to ignore media sense.....

So, have you test that flaping appear on the same place by replacing 2650 with another switch like Cisco or 3 com ?
Wojciech Furmankiewicz_1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for all the answers. By now the problem is not solved. There is an issue with power network onsite. Existing voltage on grounging pins and some other things. They are working on it at the moment and then will observe whether is better or not. I'll let you know.

My Regards,
Wojtek
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

HEHEE
Ja, ground loops can be a big factor as with my paper shredder user.
SergeyL
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

Has anybody resolved issue with flapping ports?