5576 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Procurve 2524

Sevar

HP Procurve 2524

Hi:)))
I have HP Procurve switch 2524.
I want to build network with Dynamic Vlans and Vlan Member Policy Server on Linux station.
Can I do this with HP Procurve switch 2524.
Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Procurve 2524

Hi

The 2500 series supports 802.1x:
http://www.hp.com/rnd/products/switches/switch2524-2512/features.htm

All you need is RADIUS server for authentication and you can force Dynamic Vlans based on user account.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Sevar

Thanks for reply.
I`v got another question.
How many hosts can be active simultaneously per port in dynamic vlan?
I have network with 63 hosts and only one switch HP Procurve 2524.I want to divide these hosts into 7 Vlans belonging to 7 ports on the switch.This mean that per Vlan would exist 9 hosts.
Can I do this?Help, pls and many thanks:)))
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

sevar,

generically you can up to 32 authenticated hosts on a 802.1X controlled port...

however, they all have to be authenticated into the same vlan...meaning, the 1st user that 802.1X authenticates and the port is dynamically assigned to a vlan for that user, the subsequent users can still be required to 802.1X authenticate but they cannot be assigned to a different vlan...

btw, the default setting in switch code for 802.1X authentication is 'client-limit 1'...you add the command 'aaa port-access authenticator client-limit ' to increase the authenticated user limit on a specific port(s)...

this link has a nice white paper on configuring freeradius, switches, client and IDM...may be helpful for overall system configs for you:
http://www.procurve.com/NR/rdonlyres/06538B80-6DB0-4AC6-893E-8E8E12A180C6/0/ConfiguringFreeRADIUSwithIDMbyExample_Dec_07_WW_Eng_Ltr.pdf

hth...jeff
Sevar

Thank you very much:)))
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

With the 2524 I believe it's port-based 802.1x, not client-based. Meaning that once one user successfully authenticates on the port, it will open it up for any other users who will not need to authenticate.