1748330 Members
3532 Online
108762 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Switch 2824 failure behaviour at high temperatures, monitoring using SNMP

FischerMartin

HP Switch 2824 failure behaviour at high temperatures, monitoring using SNMP

Hello,

i've tested the HP swicth 2824 failure behaviour at high temperatures within our climatic exposure test cabinet. Therefor i monitored the sensor states using snmp. (OID hpicfSensorStatus ).

At 60°C the switch turn off wihout changing the sensor state for overheating. It restarted after i reseted the power supply.

Does anyone know if this behaviour is normal or any documents where the failure behaviour is described.

I would like to know,
- if the overheating-sensor fit my requirement to monitor the switch
- does the switch just turn off without any warnings
- how is the switch behaviour, if tempature returns to normal

thank you for your help and best regards

Martin
3 REPLIES 3
Paulen
Regular Advisor

Re: HP Switch 2824 failure behaviour at high temperatures, monitoring using SNMP

Just a comment - we have some 28xx that keeps rebooting with no warnings whatsoever, every now and then. Other equipment (C*sco) on same power and in same room just works. Can't figure out why, though.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Switch 2824 failure behaviour at high temperatures, monitoring using SNMP

You mentioned resetting the power supply.
Maybe the voltage came short for proper operation before the temperature reached any limit.
Try if there is a sensor for the powersuply.
FischerMartin

Hello,

thanks for your replies.

I've run the test agagin with logging event inforamtion from the swicth, ping responses and the state inforamtion of Fan, Power Supply and Overheating Sensor.

The switch turn off at 61°C.
The states of the sensors don't change!
There is no error/warning entry in the event log.

This seems to be the normal safety mechanism of the switch at high temperatures.