108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: IP addresses on 4108gl and 2524

SOLVED
Go to solution
Frank N. Stein
Occasional Contributor

IP addresses on 4108gl and 2524

Is there any way (without buying a specialized app) to get a list of what IP addresses are currently using what ports on a Procurve 2524 and a Procurve 4108gl?
5 REPLIES 5
JOB CACKA
Advisor
Solution

From the command line interface you can get a list of the MAC addresses associated with each port using the command 'show mac'. I think this is per VLAN, but that might be something else I am thinking of.

Also, once you have the MAC/port info you can gather the IP address information you are looking for by using wireshark to sniff all of the ports for a couple of minutes and then query the output you gather for IP addresses.

Remember that layer 2 is MAC, and layer 3 is IP.

The 'show' command cannot hurt any setup information, and I would recommend looking at 'show ?' and see what is there. If you need specific help with a command that is available from the CLI as well. Also, google is your friend and there should be a CLI manual for the 4108gl readily available.

Oh, and Have Fun!
Frank N. Stein
Occasional Contributor

Wireshark...I shoulda thunk of that!
Thank you for all of the info.

Fun?
Hmmm...well, at least I'm not dealing with something like 500 IPs.

Maximum pointage applied for the answer.
EckerA
Respected Contributor

i don't know if your switches do support it.. but you can try with dhcp snooping, if you are using dhcp in your network..
with dhcp snooping you can get a list of ip to port

hth
alex
Frank N. Stein
Occasional Contributor

DHCP snooping?
I'll read up on that and give it a try.
Does anybody in here know if the two switches in question (4108gl and 2524) support it?

JOB CACKA
Advisor

DHCP Spoofing is a good idea. It reminded me that when we were troubleshooting a network problem here we used our dhcp leases file (dhcpd.leases in Linux) and grep to cross reference IP addresses to MAC addresses. Unfortunately we run a mixed environment, and only about a third of our IP addresses are dynamically allocated.