Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748264 Members
4026 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Layer 3 port on 5406 zl

uk1.helpdesk

Layer 3 port on 5406 zl

I have a question regarding HP switches.

We have 3 sites all have a core switch L3 HP 5406 zl switches.
All 3 sites have ip address on the 10.1.x.x range.
These blocks have than been subdivided into further vlans for each local site.

The connectivity between these sites were site to site VPN but are now moving to dedicated Lan extensions.

The question I have is each site has its own spanning tree configured and working i.e. vlan 10,20,30 exist on all sites but with different ranges relevant to each site/vlan.

Now when the LES circuit is implemented I am not sure how to configure it.

If I confgiure it in a vlan the switches will not be happy I feel due to the other vlans will not match the same subnets.

So as a solution I thought I could make the Ethernet / Fibre interface on the HP switches a Layer 3 and assign a ip address.

I know how to do this in Cisco switches.

int gig 0/1
no switch port
ip add x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
no shut

and than assign the ip address but I am not sure if you can do that in HP ?

Can anyone help me please ?

cheers

Joss
6 REPLIES 6
Olaf Borowski
Respected Contributor

When you are configuring on the Cisco switch, you are putting the port in "route-only" mode. ProCurve doesn't support this. But, to configure something similar, configure a dedicated VLAN for each link you want routed. Example: Link between two 5400 (routed): Create VLAN 900, put one port in it and assign the VLAN and IP address. Do the same thing on the other side.
uk1.helpdesk

Thank you for your response.

Will that not cause problems has anyone tried this before.

I am certain if you try this in cisco it will trow up errros on the console for one of the reasons being...

vlan 10 on one switch does not match vlan 10 subnet on the second switch.

cheers

Joss
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

As long as you do not "tag" (or trunk in Cisco speak) the port in VLAN10, the other side has no knowledge of what VLAN IDs are where.

Get this CLI ref guide, it shows how to configure HP ProVision, HP Comware5 and Cisco switches for lots of different functions, in a side-by-side comparison, so if you know one CLI, you see how to do it in a different CLI:
http://h10144.www1.hp.com/docs/training/HP-Networking-and-Cisco-CLI-Reference-Guide_June_10_WW_Eng_ltr.pdf

hth...Jeff
uk1.helpdesk

I am a little confused but let me elaborate a little more.

These sites need full connectivity between them no doubt.

So exmaple site 1:

A pc in vlan 10 on 10.70.160.0/24 will need to communicate to vlan 10 / 20 / 30 in Site 2 & Site 3.

The same applies to Site 2 & 3 users as well.

so what you are suggesting is create a new vlan for each connectivity and assign a /30 ip address at both ends to the SVI interface as we cannot assign a ip to the interface itself in HP switches ?

So if I do that will the switch not get confused how to route traffic for relevant vlans as all vlans are layer 3 on all sites ?

so vlan 10 on each site will have a different subnet will that not ucase problems ?

If you can anyone can explain this a little more.

any help will be much apprecaited.

cheers

Joss
uk1.helpdesk

Any help will be apprecaited!!!

cheers

Joss
EckerA
Respected Contributor

Hi,
if the ports in the transfervlan (vlan700) are untagged there will not be transmitted any vlan information in the header of the packets. this happens only when the ports are tagged. so that shouldn't be a problem.

hth
alex