4492 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PCM 3.1 & Discovery Anomolies

Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor

PCM 3.1 & Discovery Anomolies

Hi,

I am running PCM 3.1 with a large site and I have two issues.

-When a device is decommissioned and its IP is assigned to another device say 5406 to 3500yl or even a Cisco CAT, the device remains within PCM and even after a discovery has run, all the infromation stays in thier relvant to the retired device
-The device name and information does not update after a Discovery has run. i.e. device name may reference old DNS name etc.

I have seen this on other small sites and have always just removed the device and rediscovered it. why is this not happening automatically?

Cheers,

Trev.
3 REPLIES 3
Tore Valberg
Trusted Contributor

Re: PCM 3.1 & Discovery Anomolies

Hi

1. This is indeed the case. When a device is decommissioned, it is a good routine to delete it in PCM as well.
This is happening as the IP address is binded to the sysOiD of the specific switch model.

2. The current scans performed does not include any dns lookup. It will only scan the device itself. Once a device is discovered, it will not perform any dns lookup on the displayed name.

Basically both issues you mention is by design.

You could check with your sales representative for the possibility of filing a enhancement request.

Tore
Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the Explanation Tore.

I have many feature request forms to fill out as the software has so much potential.

Trev
Tore Valberg
Trusted Contributor

Hi Trevor

Just to get back on item nr 1.

There is a good chance that this might change under PCM 3.2.

Im not gonna state it 100%, but its a good chance they will implement SySOiD check etc.. during device polling cycle.

Tore