1751875 Members
5284 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ping from stack member?

Sami Kuronen

Ping from stack member?

Hi all,

I have two 3400cl 24G stacked as my core switches. I just noticed that i can┬┤t do a regular "copy tftp flash" command from the member switchs. Then i noticed i can┬┤t ping anything on my LAN from the switch itself either. It does work just fine in all other ways (the devices connected to it can be pinged) When looking at the log it shows my telnet session IP as something completely different than it should be.
None of these problems are present on the comander switch. I have not set an IPadr on the member switch.

What am i missing here? I realise i am not including a whole lot of information, but i have a feeling the solution is something simple.

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Hi Sami,

It looks to me like you are trying to PING from a member of a stack....

As far as i know, all management is done from the commander switch.

As you haven't got IPs on the member switches, they won;t be able to PING anything as they do not have an address for the echo reply to come back to...

Does this sound ok to you?

Cheers
Where there is a will there is a way...
Sami Kuronen

Yes that makes sense. But do you know why it does a wierd NAT kind of thing for the log? It obviously can determine IPs.

But more importantly, how would i go about uppdating the firmware on the member switch if i can├В┬┤t use TFTP?
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Not sure about the wierd NAT thing in the log...

To access the members, try going into the Stack menu and choosing Stack access.

If you are using the CLI, type MENU (I think!) to get into the menu, then choose option 9 for stacking and option 5 for Stack Access. You should then be able to choose which member you want to access and be put into CLI mode for that switch.

I am afraid i am quite rusty with this, try downloading the 3400 Advanced Traffic and Management guide from the Procurve website and taking a look at the Stacking chapter for more information.

Cheers!
Where there is a will there is a way...
Sami Kuronen

Well i am not having any trouble accesing the CLI of the member switch. The problem is that when i try and download the firmware from an TFTP it doesn├В┬┤t recognise the IPadr of the TFTP-server.

Thanks for your help anyway!