Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748059 Members
4999 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ports on 5308 and 2650 going off-line/on-line 3 sec intervals,

Hi, Manfred!

I completely understand why cabling/drivers/nic/firmware/BIOS etc. should be checked first.

And disabling as many protocols as possible is next.

But at some point you've got to move on.

I've tested a couple of connections with a Fluke which says that everything is just fine :)

This occurs randomly on all ports and the machines are HP evo510/530, dc7100's, nx5000, nx7010's, Intel boards with onboards Intel nics, Ecs boards with onboard Realtek 8139 etc.
Some have old drivers, som new.

We tried latest firmware for the switches and tried downgrading.

I've sent several 'show tech all' and topology maps etc.

Unfortunately I'm no longer responsible for the network, and we'll be switching to 5308's shortly.

It appears that the 10.04 firmware contains a partial fix for the problem (http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=856664&admit=-682735245+1130761060626+28353475)

Regards,
Soren
Who also figured out not to use ├Г┬╕ in the forum :)
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Soren,
You infer wrong from my post. I said the FFIs that accompany the link up/down have been greatly reduced, not the link up/down.

I should point out that I have been able to fix all my link up/down issues by replacing jumpers, newer drivers, or disabling power management on the NICs.
Manfred Arndt
Valued Contributor

Soren,

Jeanniard, Preston, and your postings seem to imply that this random port up/down is only an issue with the 2600 series switches and that the 5300 and 2800 series do not seem to have this problem.

Am I reading this correctly?

Regards,
Manfred

Les,

I know you didn't say that the port toggling was fixed. Should've more clear, sorry.

Manfred,

I've only seen it with 2650's, but we haven't got any 5308s yet and our 2824 is a serverswitch.

About power managemet:

I've heard and read about this many times, and I still don't see why power management should cause port toggling. And if Procurves don't work with power management it should have a "NOT designed for Windows" logo on the box...

I'll stop ranting now :)
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Well... on the power management issue, I think the only thing we can fault HP for is that they did not manage your expectations.

The switch simply reports what it sees. If power management turns off the NIC, the switch does not know why it was turned off, simply that it did.

If the syslog entries in PCM are an assault to your eyes, type '-line' in the filter, select all, and delete. You may want to give it a quick perusal though before deleting or you may miss indicators of problems.
Manfred Arndt
Valued Contributor

Hi Soren,

Windows has a power management capability that can disable the NIC. When the NIC is disabled for power management, due to no network activity, it drops the link to the switch. In this case, the link up/down events are expected behavior with any vendor switch.

If you are concerned about the link up/down events, you can disable the Windows power management as a workaround or to troubleshoot this further. Some NICs also support their own power management capability, so please also refer to the vendor NIC documentation.

If NIC power management has been properly disabled, then I would not expect the port to be going on/off-line and should be investigated further.

Well, I did say "rant" :)

Are you saying that a link down, up, down, up sequence is expected behaviour for a nic going to power save?

It's also worth noting that jtilenius' issue doesn't end up with a changed state ie. the link goes off/on.

If this is due to power management, then it seems to be a nic being turned off by power management and woken up again almost right away by the PC or the switch?

Regards,
Soren
Bruce Campbell_3
Valued Contributor

Our site has some Procurve 2650
switches in addition to
Cisco 2900/3500/2950/3550
and Extreme Summit 200 and 48si.

I looked at ports going up and
down on some groups of switches,
and saw the following in a 24
hour period:

make number number link
of of ups &
switches ports downs

Cisco 24 343 742
Extreme 16 109 1120
HP 46 257 1176

number of switches = number of switches with
at least one port link
state change

number of ports = number of ports which had
at least one port link
state change

link ups and downs = number of link state
changes

Client computers are a mixture of
XP, linux, self managed, AD managed,
etc.

Cabling is CAT5, 5e and 6.

In conclusion, there are alot of ports
going up and down throughout the day,
but nothing in what I saw would indicate HP Procurve is significantly different than other makers. The link state changes
I am seeing are almost certainly caused
by the client computers.

Bruce Campbell
Director, Network Services
Information Systems and Technology
MC 1018
(519)888-4567 x38323
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON
tobias Wester
Occasional Contributor

I have the exakt same problem, that ports on my 2848 go offand back on.
first i get a

duplex mismatch kl:11:20
Excessive CRC/Alignment Errors kl 11:20
Late collisions (collisions detected after transmitting ~64 bytes) were detected on port 11:20

the por i talk about is connected to out FW.
Cables and duplex is ceckt.

lacp is of
flow controll is on

any one have a suggestion what to do.
when this happends we lost conecction to the FW (internet)
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

This is a pretty old topic to dredge up given that it hardly relates to you issue.

First off, for a dedicated link to a FW, you really should not be relying on auto-detect. Hard code the proper settings on both sides. That said, my guess is you have either a bad jumper or ground loop problem.

You really should start your own thread. That way you can assign points to good answers and are more likely to get better answers when points are at stake.