1752805 Members
5644 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems connecting Sun V880 with 8212zl

Juergen Koller

Problems connecting Sun V880 with 8212zl

Hi,
perhaps I am only stupid, but I am not able to connect my Sun V880 with a 8212zl using an optical interconnect (J8706A). If the interface on the switch no link occures. If I set the interface to speed-duplex 1000-full, the switch says every thing is ok, but my Sun V880 still says that the interface is down.
The GBIC and the cable is ok, because if I connect the Sun to my 2610 both parties feel ok.
The switch software is K.13.09.
Do you have any ideas where the fault is?

Thank's a lot
Juergen
4 REPLIES 4
Yan Henrichon
Frequent Advisor

Hi Juergen. Have you checked the compatibility of the connector you use? Are you able to connect another device into the same port you are trying to use?

hth.
Juergen Koller

Hi Yan,
yes I checked it with an old Tru64 DS15. Everything was fine. I also checked several cables. Always the same result.

Juergen
Carsten M
Regular Advisor

Hello J├Г┬╝rgen.
Did you also on the server side set speed and duplex?
Stupid question, but sometimes forgets it.

Greeting Carsten
cm60
Paul Boven
Occasional Advisor

You should preferably not set speed or duplex at the endpoints of the link, and let autonegotiation do its magic. As soon as you specify the speed and duplex on an endpoint, you've disabled autonegotiation.
Only if autonegotiation doesn't come to a useful conclusion should you set speed and duplex manually, at both ends, and of course the same. If you configure it by hand on one side, but leave autonegotiation on at the other end then the side that is still set to autoneg will not get replies and be unable to bring up the link.
For the Sun, have a look at the 'ndd' manpage and the manpage for your network interface on how to set duplex options.
VLBI - it's a fringe science