1748185 Members
4011 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procurve 1800 for a newbie

X4brain

Procurve 1800 for a newbie

Hi,
I want to setup an home network using 3 Procurve 1800-8G. I want to connect this device to obtain the maximum bandwitch possible. I must connect to the switch some computer printer and one firewall.
As I don't know this switch, can anyone help me to let me know what I must do to interconnect the 3 devices with trunk?

Thank You
RM
7 REPLIES 7
Matt79
Advisor

Hi,

Trunking is very simple on the ProCurves.

It must be done BEFORE you attach multiple ethernet cables between your switches, or you'll be up with loops in your network.

And the commands must be performed on both sides of the trunk.

On the first switch use the "trunk" command to trunk together 2 or more (upto 8) ports on that switch into a single logical trunk port and give the trunk a name (in the format trkX - where X is a number). The ports do not need to be next to each other, eg:

(config)# trunk 1,2,4,8 trk1

This trunks ports 1,2,4 and 8 into "trk1"

Then on the next switch do the same thing. Although the port numbers and trunk name do not need to be the same as the first switch. Eg:

(config)# trunk 2,3,4,5 trk1

That's it! Attach cables between the ports you have trunked and you're done.

The 1800-8G supports upto 4 trunks, so you'll need 1 trunk on your two "outer switches" to join to the "inner switch". And 2 trunks on the inner switch.

Hope that helps,
Matt
Jari Ferguson

I have two ProCurve 1800-8G and I would like to create two VLAN (#1 and #2). By creating a trunk between the two devices, and perserve the VLANs on both switches. Howerver, I only have one cable running between the two switches (on switch is located on the 2nd floor and the other on the ground floor). I was expecting to assign port 1 on one switch to trunk 1 and port 1 on the other switch also to trunk 1. However, the manager says I must assign at least two ports per switch to a trunk. Why is this necessary?
Matt79
Advisor

Hi Jari,

It sounds like you're getting confused with the Cisco interpretation of what a "trunk port" is.

In ProCurve's a "trunk" is a collection of ports that are aggregated together to make a single logical port (for greater through-put).

If you want to pass multiple VLANs through a single cable you need to "tag" the ports with the VLAN ID. Ports on the ProCurves can carry as many Tagged VLANs as you like (but only 1 Untagged VLAN).

Matt
Jari Ferguson

Hello Matt,

I discussed my requirements with a Cisco Certified colleague, so that does explain my confusion.

What I would like to achieve is as follows:
- downstairs switch:
* ADSL modem/router on VLAN2
* Wireless AP (for LAN access) on VLAN1

upstairs switch:
* ISA Server Outside NIC on VLAN2
* ISA Server Inside NIC on VLAN1
* Domain Server on VLAN1
* PC Workstations on VLAN1
* Network printer on VLAN1

The wireless accespoint downstairs should be isolated from VLAN2 but be able to reach VLAN1 on the switch upstairs.

I thought a "trunk" would make both switches behave as one large switch.
Matt79
Advisor

In Cisco terminology a Trunk would do exactly that.

On ProCurves you just need to Tag VLANs 1 and 2 on the two ports at each end.

Jari Ferguson

Thank you for all your help. I will most certainly test this as soon as possible. I will be away on business, so it may have to wait a week.
Jari
Jari Ferguson

Hi,
I was able to configure the switches as you described. I included a configuration diagram (as JPEG). If you have any comments, please let me know. By the way, would you advise flow control on all ports?
Also, is Jumbo frames worth using?
Thanks again,

Jari