Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1751688 Members
5395 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procurve 1810-24G mounting

lawrencehare

Procurve 1810-24G mounting

I am rebuilding my home network and will consolidate a number of switches into one, the Procurve 1810-24G which I have just received. Due to the layout of the room, I am looking at a wall mount, however by FAR the most convenient method of mounting would be flat against the wall with the ports facing forwards. This would place the side vents on the top and bottom which I would have thought a good arrangement. The guide however says to mount with the ports facing up or down only, or in a rack or flat on a table. I presume that the installation guide is correct, but does anyone know if mounting it sideways, flat against the side of a cabinet with the ports facing front would cause problems, and perhaps why?

Thanks - Lawrence
2 REPLIES 2
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

I've got a 2610-PWR that had to be mounted flat in a location due to space constraints, although the ports on it are facing upwards (not the best for dust) and we haven't had any problems with it.
lawrencehare

Yes, according to the installation mounting flat on a wall with the ports upwards or - good grief - downwards, is acceptable. It is flat on a wall with the ports facing frontwards that appears to be a no-no. I cannot see why! It is what I want to do, yet I also want the thing to last forever.

Not sure how to find out and I am unwilling to experiment!

Thanks - Lawrence