New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProCurve 5406zl Help

SOLVED
Go to solution
VeeDubbss
Advisor

ProCurve 5406zl Help

Hi All -

I'm having trouble with a new 5406 I just got put on my desk. I have a zl Module (J8705A) - the 20 10/10/1000 + 4 mGBIC ports. Whenever I want to do something with the 4 fiber ports (B21 - B24) - it acts as if it does not recognize them. If I do show int B21 (or 22, 23, 24) in the CLI it will tell me invalid input; however, if I do the same command with any other ports B1 - B20 it works fine. This is with any command - not just the show int command. If I try to tag or untag I get the same message. Am I doing something wrong? Is it setup like this on purpose? Any help is MUCH appreciated!!!!
9 REPLIES 9
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Have you got the mini-GBICs installed? Until you do I don't believe the ports can be configured.
Paulen
Regular Advisor

If you have one SFP and insert it into B1, then B2 and so on, you may be able to configure it.

You can also upload a startupconfig to the unit with B21-24 configured.

HP should really remove this "feature" - it is really a pain.
Paulen
Regular Advisor

...should of course be "insert it into B21, then B22 and so on".
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

Any Mini-GBIC port (except the dual-personality ones) can't be configured until you plug the proper Mini-GBIC.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
VeeDubbss
Advisor

Thanks for all of the responses everyone. I think we may have figured out what is possibly wrong by checking the logs. The person who purchased the GBICs went the cheap route and didn't purchase HP GBICs - they are Finisar(??). Could that be the cause? Improper GBICs?
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor
Solution

VeeDubbss
Advisor

I have to bring this thread back alive. So we finally got the new GBIC in today. It is a ProCurve J4859B. However, I still can't seem to get it to work!! I have 2 software versions on the switch - one is K.11.63 and the other is K.12.05. Neither of them work with the GBIC. When I check the logs after the GBIC has been inserted I see this:

00535 FFI: port A21 This switch only supports revision B and above transceivers.

But as far as I know this is a revision B. I'm going crazy!!! Advice?? Am I doing something wrong!? Thanks.
VeeDubbss
Advisor

UPDATE:

When I do show tech transceivers in the CLI I get ?? under type and Prod # and non operational under serial # and no part #. Is this a broken GBIC (I have no other 5400's to test it on...) or a counterfeit GBIC?
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

As you've already suspected, it could be either a faulty gbic or a counterfeit...

There really shouldn't be any trick to it once you have a good gbic. Plug it in and away you go.