PVID issue on 1800-24G

SOLVED
Go to solution
daveb0
Occasional Advisor

PVID issue on 1800-24G

Hi

I have two questions:

1. I've just upgraded my Procurve (after resetting it to facory defaults) to firmware version 3.02. I've then created 6 additional VLANs (1, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 255). After having assigned port 17 and 18 to VLAN 50, 19-24 to 255 and removing 28-24 from VLAN 1, on the "Port configuration" site for port 17 i can only chosse PVID "1" (although being member of 1 and 50) and from 18 on just "None". I've rebootet the switch with brought no change.
Is this a firmware bug? Anybody having the same or similar problem?

2. The second question is more about understandig VLANs. I would have tested it if i could, but since I'm writing anyway I can ask the experts :)
what I want: My main LAN is belonging to VLAN 1. No Port is configured specially and no computer has (as far as I know) no VLAN configuration. Now I wanted to setup a PXE-server which is running on a XEN-Server. Since my Zyxel router is not capable of providing the "next-server" option, I also have to setup a dhcp server. In order to separate the main-LAN and the PXE-LAN I created an new VLAN (50) assigned port 17 and 18 to it. However since the XEN-Server also hosts other servers its Port 17 is still member of VLAN 1.
Now; Am I right assuming, that (if the PVID for port 17 is set to 1) the XEN-Server is behaving as usuall, but the freshly setup PXE-Server, if its (virtual) interface is tagged with VLAN 50, is not avaible from the main-LAN nor would it conflict with the main-LAN dhcp server?
11 REPLIES 11
Matt79
Advisor
Solution

Re: PVID issue on 1800-24G

Hi Dave,

Could you paste in a copy of your Config (show run) so I can see your actual setup?

Many thanks,
Matt
daveb0
Occasional Advisor

Hi Matt

I dont have the CLI "installed" and I unfortunately don't have any experience in using it as well.

However I attached the Screenshots of the Browser page. Please tell me, if that would do it as well. I meanwhile look for the Serial cable - this can take some time :) Or is there another way to access the CLI like SSH?

regards

David
daveb0
Occasional Advisor

...ahhhhm I probably guess looking for the serial cable can realy take a while since the 1800 series don't have an interface for it :)

So I have to ask differently. Is ther ANY way to access a CLI on the 1800 series? I havent found any until now - and google didn't help neighter.

regards david
Matt79
Advisor

Hi Dave,

You should be able to simply Telnet into the switch using the same IP Address that you access the web browser on (192.168.2.10)

SSH is disabled by default, but the CLI is available on port 23 (standard telnet).
daveb0
Occasional Advisor

Obviously my last entry somehow just dissapeared. So I just write the same thing again.

I tried to telnet with putty and windwos "native" telnet with no luck. I don't know the exact error, since it has been a few days back, but it was something like "connection failed".

Are you sure that the 1800 series have a telnet/ssh interface, because i can't see anything in the manual nor did the almighty-google tell me something about it?
Matt79
Advisor

I have to admit - I've never used an 1800 series before, but I was under the impression that all the procurves allowed Telnet.

But it sounds like this one doesn't !

In which case you'll have to use the web interface. Could you attach screenshots of all the various VLAN Setup pages you've configured so far, and we can try to figure out what's gone wrong.
daveb0
Occasional Advisor

Hi Matt

Here are the Screenshots. The problem I described in my first post can bee seen in the first two screenshots.

regards

david
daveb0
Occasional Advisor

part2
daveb0
Occasional Advisor

part3