Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1751712 Members
5088 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SAN and VLANS

Furpurse

SAN and VLANS

No experience at all with Switches (and VLAN's)so hope somebody can help.
Setting up a 5412zl switch and a seperate VLAN for our new SAN and was thinking about the easiest way for the SAN to report via email? Do I need to configure IP Routing on the switch or is there an easier way?

Thanks for any replies.
11 REPLIES 11
Tijl van der Steeg
Valued Contributor

What SAN do you have? I wouldn't separate by using VLAN's but using separate physical switches? Easiest is to set up an smtp-server on a machine that has a connection to a SAN. This can be an exchange server but also a server with just smtp installed.
Furpurse

Thanks for the reply.

The SAN is a Dell Equalogic PS6000.

The IT Manager blew the budget on the 5412zl with the seperate VLAN for the SAN in mind. The seperate box hooked up to the VLAN for reporting is worth thinking about but thought there may be an easier way?
Tijl van der Steeg
Valued Contributor

I don't really mean a seperate box, just a machine that has a LUN presented(and thus a connection in the ISCSI subnet)
One of the things I like about ISCSI san's is that they require no mgmt stuff like commandview EVA, nice to keep it that way.

You won't get support from Dell with this config BTW, just did a similar project :(
Now after 4 weeks Dell finally send us a new controller
Tijl van der Steeg
Valued Contributor

I mean the config with VLAN's is "unsupported"(there isn't really a support matrix with equallogic, really makes no sense)
Furpurse

Starting to sound a bit complicated to me and beyond my level of knowledge. I would need a step by step guide to start messing with this.
Think we might have to get a Network proffessional to come in and do this.

Thanks again.
Tijl van der Steeg
Valued Contributor

It's not that complicated, just set up the VLAN's, tag the ports, and enable jumbo frames and flow control. Something like this

interface 13
flow-control
speed-duplex auto-1000
exit
interface 14
flow-control
speed-duplex auto-1000
exit
interface 15
flow-control
speed-duplex auto-1000
exit
interface 16
flow-control
speed-duplex auto-1000
exit
interface 17
flow-control
speed-duplex auto-1000
exit
interface 18
flow-control
speed-duplex auto-1000
exit
vlan 1
name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
untagged 1-12,19-24
ip address 172.16.90.80 255.255.0.0
no untagged 13-18
exit
vlan 10
name "ISCSI"
untagged 13-18
no ip address
jumbo
exit
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Do you really mean a fibre-channel SAN ?
this cannot be connected with ethernet-switches! you will need separate SAN-switches for this network.

Vendors invented "fibre channel over ethernet" to overcome this and use an existing ethernet network for transport.
Depending on physical location and data-volume you must make decission to connect on
- a dedicated SAN (storage network large data volume)
- or the existing network (relatively small data-volume, large geographically distance).

But i think it may be simpler than you think.
You probably have a management station for the SAN. This needs one foot (HBA) connected to the storage network and one foot (NIC) to the ethernet network.
If this NIC is connected to the right vlan, no routing config is needed.
Tijl van der Steeg
Valued Contributor

%other vendor% Equallogic is an ISCSI San, not a fibre channel. I'm not talking out of my .... here :)
Furpurse

It is definitely a iSCSI SAN