5501 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Setting Up VoIP on 2610-24-pwr

SOLVED
Go to solution
raul zulueta

Setting Up VoIP on 2610-24-pwr

I have a 2610-24-pwr switch and I need to know how to setup the switch for voip. The pc will plug into the phone and the phone will plug into the switch. I am familiar with the Cisco environment but I am new to the ProCurve environment. Do we use auxiliary vlans or something else? How is it done?
3 REPLIES 3
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Setting Up VoIP on 2610-24-pwr

"quick way"

config a port for "tagged" in a vlan for VoIP and verify the phone is configured likewise - this is also known as 802.1Q or in Cisco speak it is "trunk".

here is a quick example of config:

2610(config)# vlan 10 name voip
2610(config)# vlan 10 tag 2

phone will need to be configured for vlan2, once pc is plugged in, it will work in vlan1 (all ports are "untagged" in vlan1 by default).

Get this CLI ref guide, it shows how to configure HP ProVision, HP Comware5 and Cisco switches for lots of different functions, in a side-by-side comparison, so if you know one CLI, you see how to do it in a different CLI:
http://h10144.www1.hp.com/docs/training/HP-Networking-and-Cisco-CLI-Reference-Guide_June_10_WW_Eng_ltr.pdf

hth...Jeff
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

Jeff Carrell said: "phone will need to be configured for vlan2, once pc is plugged in, it will work in vlan1 (all ports are "untagged" in vlan1 by default)."

opps, I should have said phone needs to be configured for 802.1Q (tag) for vlan 10.

Thanx Pete!
John Gelten
Regular Advisor

In ProCurve switches, an interface to connect to a VoIP phone is basically just a trunk port (in Cisco terminology ;- )

If your phones support LLDP-MED (enabled by default on the 2610) then you can add the word 'voice' in your switch-config to indicate to the phone that they have to use that tagged VLAN for VoIP.
I am not fluent with VoIP on Catalysts, but I seem to recall this is more or less the idea of the aux VLAN on Cisco (which wil prefer CDP over LLDP-MED)

So, your config might include something like this :

2610(config)# vlan 1 name data
2610(config)# vlan 1 untagged 1-24
2610(config)# vlan 10 name voip
2610(config)# vlan 10 tagged 1-24
2610(config)# vlan 10 voice

Be sure to run the latest firmware; we have seen serious jitter-issues with pre 11.48 releases. And a small bug that causes switches to suddenly forward VoIP-traffic in the default VLAN; although that seems to be limited to the 48-port models.