7117 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Trap Events from Switch Eventlog

zmichl
Advisor

Trap Events from Switch Eventlog

Hi,

is there any way to generate snmp traps, if specified events happen on my switches (e.g. psu fault)? I have PCM here and just wondered that the switches do trap every single linkdown/linkup to PCM, while events like psu faults and excessive broadcasts won't appear in the event view in PCM (but they DO appear in the switch log -> log -r).

I would like to receive an email if events like psu fault occur on any switch. Also, I want to automatically disable a port if excessive broadcasts are passing it. I would do that with PCM policies, but I can't if the switches do not trap the event.

Any Ideas?
2 REPLIES 2
John Gelten
Regular Advisor

Re: Trap Events from Switch Eventlog

Using the 'fault-finder ...' on the switch CLI, you can specify what you want the switch to log. Although I would think it is already there (default), because you see it in the internal log. You can disable the link-up/down logs with that.
As far as I remember, by default the switch forwards all logging to the PCM, unless you specify it diferently with a 'snmp-server...' command, specifying what traps or informs you want to be (not) sent.
Can you post the switchconfig ?
zmichl
Advisor

Re: Trap Events from Switch Eventlog

Thank you for your reply. I already have setup PCM to ignore link-down/up messages from my access switches as I want to see them in the switchlog, but not in PCM - so that's not the problem, but thank you for the hint.

>As far as I remember, by default the switch forwards all logging to the PCM, unless you specify it diferently with a
'snmp-server...

That's the point where it's getting interesting, because I cant't see _any_ entries from the local switchlog in PCM. Even in the tab "Device Syslog" in PCM there are no events listed. Curiously this happens only with some switches, for the other ones, the syslog will appear in PCM, although the switches have the same config.

This is all the related config of one of the affected switches:

fault-finder over-bandwidth sensitivity high
fault-finder broadcast-storm sensitivity high
logging severity info