1748224 Members
4595 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VLAN questons

Kelvin.uk
Advisor

VLAN questons

So we repatached our patch panel during the weekend and we can actually see our switches now! I am now about to start testing the routing between vlans. This URL is an example layout: http://i56.tinypic.com/2co0z1z.jpg we have more L2/L3 switches but if I can understand this scenario the rest should be easy.

VID50 192.168.50.x (Blue) Servers
VID60 192.168.60.x (Grey) Clients, switches, gateway, everything else...
VID70 192.168.70.x (Yellow) Printers

All 3 VLANs above need will need to talk to each other.

My first question is do the ports need to be tagged or untagged? For example SW2 module C ports would all need to be untagged to VID50 I think? Would I ever need to tag ports in the scenario in the URL?

My second question is some people say you can use VLAN1 (Default VLAN) others said not to. Would my setup above work if I did not use VLAN1 for any ports?

Thanks in advanced really appreciate the support.
5 REPLIES 5
rvent
Frequent Advisor

The ports that will connect to other switches, also called Trunk ports, are the ones that must be tagged with all VIDs.

The tagging and untagging depends on the device you are connecting to it. This means that if the devices connecting to it do not support VLANs, you would change the PVID on the switch port, typically most desktops, printers, etc would require you to change the PVID at the switch so the devices can be members of the VLAN.

You only need to TAG the VID if the device connecting to that port needs to be a member of multiple VLANs: Example would be switch A port 24 connecting to switch B on port 24. Port 24 on both switches must be members of all the desired VLANs and enable tagging on this port as well.

Let me know if you got any more questions.
Kelvin.uk
Advisor

Thanks I understand the concept of vlans now but I'm having problems getting my vlans to communicate to each other so hopefully you can help me, here is my test setup:

On the HP ProCurve 5308XL browser settings:
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (our firewall)
VLAN50 has Port 1 untagged
VLAN50 IP address: 192.168.50.254
VLAN50 Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
VLAN60 has Port 2 untagged
VLAN60 IP address: 192.168.60.254
VLAN60 Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Host A is plugged into port 1
Host A IP settings:
IP Address: 192.168.50.5
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gatway: 192.168.50.254

Host B is plugged into port 2
Host B IP settings:
IP Address: 192.168.60.5
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gatway: 192.168.60.254

Firewalls and AVs disabled on the hosts.
I have also tried setting the hosts gateway to our firewall 192.168.0.1

Host A can not ping Host B and vice versa! Where am I going wrong? Do I need to enable inter vlan routing on the console?
Kelvin.uk
Advisor

Ok I have managed to get the vlans to route to each other. I consoled into the switch and enabled IP routing (kind of helps!)Question about hosts connected to these vlans:

Should the default gateways of host A and B be their respective vlan address or the switches default gateway?

Thanks!
showneek
Respected Contributor

Hi! In case of one switch, just enable ip routing in global configuration context:

Switch(config)#ip routing

In case of your scenario on picture. Enable ip routing on L3 switch. Tag the ports on link between L3 and L2 switch for appropriate VLANs.
showneek
Respected Contributor

and about the default gateways... Yes, if the switch should be router between vlans then the ip addresses of vlans act as default gateway for clients connecting to these vlans.