Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752577 Members
4075 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: We installed the HP ProCurve 2650 48 and do not have a console!

SOLVED
Go to solution
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

>>And since I don't have a console access I out of luck.

Why can you not access the console port on the switch?
WebHostPro
Advisor

Becasue I'm not at the location of the switch, I have a remote desktop computer running that I am going to use to accesss it?

The place where it's located does not know how to use or have a console.
Web Hosting Support
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

As long as the remote site is running DHCP, the switch should get an address. It is then just a matter of finding that address, either by having access to a PC on that site to ping the broadcast address (e.g. ping 10.0.0.255) as Les has suggested, or by using the IP scanner tool posted above. Either way, these will need to be run on the network as the switch is on. You will also need to know the mac-address of the switch, which you can then correspond to the IP address.

If there is no DHCP on that site or you cannot get access to a PC there to run either of those methods, you will need to get serial console access to find the IP address.

Don't forget to assign points to these kind gentlemen.

If you submit a question or new topic and another member replies to it, you will see a dropdown menu of points next to the reply (you must be logged in to see the menu). Select the point value and then click the "submit points" button. Note that you can rate multiple replies and submit them at one time.
WebHostPro
Advisor

I appreciate the Macgyver type attempts very much, but none of this helps me. I just spent more time on stuff that didn't work.

I just need to know how to access this switch without a console.

It's o.k. though I have spent too much time on the stuff but I am thankful.

Basically for anyone reading this you need to have console access to set up the i.p. on the ProCurve 2650 switches.

Thanks again all.
Web Hosting Support
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

You obviously are not telling the whole story. I know for a fact that everything I suggested works because I've used them myself. Sorry they don't work for you.

Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

I use a tool called SUPERSCAN to scan my subnets for anything running Telnet and HTTP ports. Our switches and access points are the only devices to use both of these ports on the same device. Try that, perhaps?
Chris Bullock_1
Frequent Advisor

sounds to me like you have 1 of several potential problems, 1 your switch is not connected to the live network with a dhcp server, 2, you have a bad switch, or 3 you have poor planning deploying a switch before it is ready.
If your switch does not have an IP address and there is not a console cable, you are not no way going to access it unless you are planning to break the laws of physics and warp into the software configuration and change it from inside the switch.
WebHostPro
Advisor

O.K. I'm in, what's the default username/password?
Web Hosting Support
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Solution

There is no default username or password configured on the switches. If one has been set, you can clear it by pressing the Clear button on the front of the switch.

http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/manuals/2650_6108.htm

How many points should I assign to replies?
Every response to your question is eligible to earn between 1-10 points. No need to worry about running out of points - when a truly awesome reply rolls in that deserves a 10, you will be able to assign it a 10! However, be careful to assign points based on the value that a reply truly provides. Use the following scale as a guideline:

o N/A: The answer was simply a point of clarification to my original question

o 1-3: The answer didn't really help answer my question, but thanks for your assistance!

o 4- 7: The answer helped with a portion of my question, but I still need some additional help!

o 8-10: The answer has solved my problem completely! Now I'm a happy camper!

WebHostPro
Advisor

Thanks Matt, that was a perfect answer to my question.

I'm in now.

Now the switch seems to ask for the username and password over and over for some options. Then when I enter it three times it shows a blank page.

I have reset the switch and the computer accessing th switch through the web browser.

Also is there a link somewhere for upgrding the firmware on this unit?

Thanks,
Web Hosting Support