1752795 Members
6355 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 3c501 device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization

jdlandry
Occasional Contributor

3c501 device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization

Hello again. I have a network card problem. I have a dv9700z Pavilion with 2 160GB HDD. I have the HP OS Vista loaded on the first and RHEL5 on the second. Both boot fine. My problem is my NIC doesn't work in RHEL5. I get the above message: '3c501 device eth0 ...' on boot. The loopback adapter seems to be working. I contacted HP support and got the canned responses: 'HP doesn't recommend loading a retail OS. You need to use ...'.

I know that. That is still loaded. I just need a driver for my 3 com I believe. Can someone help resolve this issue please?

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

├В┬┐Can you identify the exact model of your network adapter?

Please also attach in a txt file the output of:

dmesg
lspci -v
cat /etc/modprobe.conf
cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
jdlandry
Occasional Contributor

Ivan,

Thanks for replying. I am uploading the txt file. I went into Windows to see what the device is and it is a Broadcom 4321AG NIC.

Let me know what else you need, and thanks.

JD
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

It won't be an easy setup I think, but check these links:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
jdlandry
Occasional Contributor

Ivan,

I went to the ndiswrapper link and tried that. I have the drivers ready to try with, but when trying to run the ndiswrapper command "make distclean" it errors out. See the attached. I have since found out I have a Broadcom 4321AG NIC (went into Windows and got the name).

Thanks

Jim