1748165 Members
4260 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Allow user to use rcp

ivywong1
Occasional Contributor

Allow user to use rcp

I have two RH server , I would like all users can use rcp to copy files to each other , now I need to add all user ID to .rhosts , I tried add + + to it but not work , can advise what can I do if not add all user id to .rhosts manually ? thx
5 REPLIES 5
Goran┬аKoruga
Honored Contributor

Hello.

Which .rhosts file are you talking about? These files are per-user. The generic configuration file is hosts.equiv (see the man page).

Did you check if rcp works at all - i.e., even if you specify exact host/username pair and test with that?

Regards,
Goran
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Once you set up .rhosts for one user, you can just copy it, provide you only have machines listed and not with the optional username.

(Basically users who don't want to set up their own .rhosts files don't deserve to use rcp. :-)
ivy1234
Frequent Advisor

Thx replies ,

Now my case is the server can rcp files to each other but need to add all users to .rhost file .

How to make it can rcp file but no need to update .rhost again ?

Thanks.
Reiner  Rottmann
Frequent Advisor

The .rhost file allows the usage of wildcards '+', however a lot of deamons ignore this out of security reasons.

In fact the whole rcp thing is one huge security risk!

How about using scp instead?
Reiner  Rottmann
Frequent Advisor

If you really insist on using this, you may add the configuration to the /etc/skel. That means that all new created users will receive the config from this template.

Another solution would be to create a shell script that may be invoked by cron to assemble the config by scanning all available users from "getent passwd".