1752271 Members
4845 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: asking for password change again!

SOLVED
Go to solution

asking for password change again!

hello, one of the hp-ux server is asking a user to change his password again and again. He changed it 3 times, still no luck. please help urgent. Appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
щ╗ЮчЗГ
Valued Contributor
Solution

What error message you are receiving? What type of a user account it is? local/NIS?
checked your /etc/passwd for any errors?
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions

it is keep asking for changing password. changed it many times. it is local user and not nis. what to check in passwd file?
щ╗ЮчЗГ
Valued Contributor

Was there any changes made to the /etc/passwd fle lately? what shell the user is using?

senhor excelente!
it was having the passwd command listed and not any shell.i chenge it to /usr/bin/ksh and issue fixed. thank you.

one more question
i am chenging password of one local user as root. but it gives error "Password can not be changed. Reason: Password lifetime has passed. " please help.

muito obrigado
Julio
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>but it gives error "Password can not be changed. Reason: Password lifetime has passed."

Are you using trusted, standard or shadow passwords?
What does the line in /etc/passwd look like?
щ╗ЮчЗГ
Valued Contributor

Well that's strange.
To answer your second question, the user account must have been locked if the password lifetime is passed. You need to reacticte it. If it is a trusted system, you can do this by /usr/lbin/modprpw -k command. Check the status using /usr/lbin/getprpw |grep -i lockout. (it should be having all zeros if unlocked). Now try to change the password using passwd command as root.

hth!

wow!! thanks for the help. the modprpw command worked and i could chenge password after that. Thanks again guys for helping fast responses. i am learnig hpux and need your help more.

cheers Julio.

fast help. appreciate this forum.