New Discussion юеВ

auto mount

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: auto mount

>the version is 11.11;

Ok, you have workstation on an even older version (and that isn't like 11.31 either). :-)

You fstab entry indicates NO NFS mounts at all. So you could have been using the automounter to mount NFS filesystem.

Is it running? ps -fu root | grep auto
Yarok
Regular Advisor

I dont think so...

it says:

root 19394 4268 0 13:56:16 pts/1 0:00 grep auto
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

So you aren't using the automounter. You either need to start or you need to add entries in fstab for each NFS filesystem you want to mount.

Were you mounting these before by an explicit script/command?
Yarok
Regular Advisor

Dear Dennis and Ismail

I checked the command ps -fu root | grep auto
in OTHER HP machine and the results are:

autofs_proc
/usr/lib/netsvr/fs/auto/automount

I attach the fstab file of this machine as well. what is the difference between nfs and vxfs mount?

1. Does it mean the mount will be activated automatically when rebooting the system?
2. Should I do the same in the problematic machine? if so how?
3. What is the fanction of /etc/mnttab file? can i edit it?

BR,

Yaron
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>in OTHER HP machine and the results are:
autofs_proc
/usr/lib/netsvr/fs/auto/automount

This machine is running the automounter.
You could look at the differences in /etc/fstab and /etc/mnttab to see what is currently automounted.
(Or root explicitly invoked mount/umount.)

>I attach the fstab file of this machine as well. What is the difference between nfs and vxfs mount?

vxfs, like hfs is local. NFS is remote.

You have two NFS file systems that are mounted on each boot:
planet2:/vol/scc/scc /planet2 nfs defaults
ednop:/vol/vol0/scc /ednop nfs rw,suid,soft,bg

>1. Does it mean the mount will be activated automatically when rebooting the system?

Yes for every FS in /etc/fstab, unless it says ignore or noauto.

>2. Should I do the same in the problematic machine? if so how?

Just edit the file and do: mount -a

>3. What is the function of /etc/mnttab file? can I edit it?

To show you what is mounted now. No, this file is basically for display purposes only.
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Yaron,

First please let us know if you are trying to do an "automount" with AutoFS or are you trying to permanently mount an NFS filesystem.

However, as of now I can answer some of the questions you asked which could prob clear some things.

> I attach the fstab file of this machine as well. what is the difference between nfs and vxfs mount?

A normal vxfs mount is on the local filesystem. It means the filesystem is the servers "own". An NFS filesystem is mounted from another server on the client side and the NFS subsystem is often referred to as a "diskless" based system.

1. Does it mean the mount will be activated automatically when rebooting the system?

Mount at rebooting for both local vxfs and NFS mounts should have an entry in /etc/fstab.
3. What is the fanction of /etc/mnttab file? can i edit it?

/etc/mnttab is your "local mount table". You cannot edit it. You can cat it but not vi. If you try to vi you will see a BLANK SCREEN. Hope this helps.

Regards
Ismail Azad
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....
Yarok
Regular Advisor

thanks a lot Mr. Dennis and Mr. Ismail.

Now Iv entered into /etc/fstab the relevant automount clients. I will rebooted when possible to see if it holds :)

Thanks for the information as well.

Best regards,

Yaron.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I've entered into /etc/fstab the relevant automount clients.

Did you mount them with "mount -a"?

>Ismail: the NFS subsystem is often referred to as a "diskless" based system.

I've only seen diskless to indicate that there are no local disks at all and it boots over NFS.

>You cannot edit it. You can cat it but not vi. If you try to vi you will see a BLANK SCREEN.

You can attempt to edit it but it won't do you any good. In vi, I see all of the mounted filesystems.
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

> Dennis

I've only seen diskless to indicate that there are no local disks at all and it boots over NFS.

Yes let me rephrase : the NFS subsystem is "at times" referred to as a "diskless" based system and yes it's in only the scenario you mentioned {probably not apt terminology}. My mistake BUT

> Dennis

Let me point one striking thing. I CANNOT edit my /etc/mnttab file!! And I have never been able to do it. My server is an rp3410 runnning Feb 2007 11.31 O.S. Apparently that might be important. This is the output of ls -l /etc/mnttab

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 11 Jan 5 16:38 /etc/mnttab -> /dev/mnttab

The file has a link to a device file. If I vi into this at the bottom of the editor I get character special file and I really think it is not edittable. Please tell me otherwise. And I have definitely not created that link. Looks like /etc/mnttab has progressed over the years and this is HPs way of not letting people mess with /etc/mnttab as syncer, mount and umount control the contents of this file. However, if you have any details on this, it would be nice sharing. :) It's actually good. But Dennis am I missing something here!. What O.S did you try a vi /etc/mnttab on?? Because this has always confused me because ppl keep saying never edit it and I know exactly why but it has never been edittable on my server! Eagerly awaiting your response.

> yaron

Please let us know if your filesystems are getting mounted and we have taken the right route because apparently your automounter was running and if it is you need another approach and the approach is to "just access" {if tha maps are set right}. :) And FYI this is a discussion based on YOUR question, can i edit /etc/mnttab! :)

Regards
Ismail Azad
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

> Dennis

And yes, I have always seen a blank screen "attempting" to vi into /etc/mnttab.

Regards
Ismail Azad