Operating System - Linux
1752755 Members
5074 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can I move RHN subscription to a new server?

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Can I move RHN subscription to a new server?

We've 1 RHN subscription.

We've yet to register the machine in RHN as it is a temporary/exploratory environment.

If I register the machine and later on destroy the machine and install RH on the permanent server, will RHN registration give me a hard time? Temporary and permanent server will have different hostnames and different machine make and model.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is how RHN tracks subscriptions and what if the server is changed?

I need to connect to RHN as I need a number of RPMs but this server I am using right now is just temporary. And I fear once we've the permanent server -- that I will have difficulty getting the server on RHN once more.

Hakuna Matata.
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Ask the vendor?

Why would you rely on any unofficial advice
which you might get here?
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Coz of the obvious good sir?
Hakuna Matata.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You can register as many machines as you want. To use the update services, you must have a "entitlement". You can have less entitlements than servers registered, but you won't be able to update those servers without entitlement.

I recently removed from the red hat network two systems, and their entitlements where assigned to two other new servers.

Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Jared Middleton
Frequent Advisor

Alzhy,

No problem. You simply need to login to RHN and manually delete your existing (old) server Profile. Then, you should have no problem reusing the now free'd up subscription/entitlement on a different server. I've had to do similar server 'leap frogging' multiple times since 2002.

-Jared
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

your registration is not tied to any machine. you can buy a bundle and assign them to systems as they come and go. if a system is removed the registration can be used for another one.

if you want to use a test environment, you can also give centos a try. it's free and a 100% compatible version of RH offerings.