New Discussion юеВ

Can not install hp-ux11.23 OS on internal HDD

SOLVED
Go to solution
supen
Occasional Advisor

Can not install hp-ux11.23 OS on internal HDD

Hi,
I am working on a hp rp7440 server with two cell boards and on the cell board-0 two 146 GB hard drives are connected. I have installed HP-UX11.23 on the first drive(/dev/dsk/c0t6d0)successfully and then tried to extend the vg00 with the second hard drive(/dev/dsk/c3t6d0) but getting error.
I have tried to install hp-ux11.23 directly on the second disk (/dev/dsk/c3t6d0) but it is also failed with the error message as attached.pvcreate -v /dev/rdsk/c3t6d0 is passed fine but then not able to extend the vg00 with the PV /dev/dsk/c3t6d0 not able to create a new vg with /dev/dsk/c3t6d0.

Can anybody suggest what might be the issue.

Thanks in advance
Supen Kumar Khan
5 REPLIES 5
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Can not install hp-ux11.23 OS on internal HDD

sounds like the disk may be faulty, try doing a dd from/to it and see what happens
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

I second Melvyn's opinion. Run

dd if=/dev/dsk/c3t6d0 of=/dev/null bs=8192

and let it run its course. For 146 GB drive, it will take a loooong time. Let it go thru, checking the output every few minutes. More than likely, you will see a read error at some point, indicating the recordable media is damaged/bad. At that point you can ctrl-c out of the running command and call your h/w support to get it replaced.

>Mel: dd if=/dev/dsk/c3t6d0 of=/dev/null bs=8192
>For 146 GB drive, it will take a loooong time.

That's why you use a larger block size:
dd if=/dev/dsk/c3t6d0 of=/dev/null bs=4096k
Taifur
Respected Contributor

Hi,

It might be disk c3t6d0 faulty, try to use dd command on disk c3t6d0 then check it again.

Cheers//
Taifur
supen
Occasional Advisor

Actually th problem was with the controller back plane. It has been replace with a good one and now OS is installed.
Thanks every body for their supports.

Thanks,

Supen Kumar Khan