New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can /opt being increased on the fly

SOLVED
Go to solution
PamelaJThrasher
Regular Advisor

Can /opt being increased on the fly

Hello-
I have an 11.11 server with on-line JFS installed. Can I increase /opt without umounting the file system or re-igniting the server?
5 REPLIES 5
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes you can. That's what OnlineJFS is for after all.

The only LVs you cannot easily extend on-line are vg00/lvol1, vg00/lvol2 and vg00/lvol3, or /stand, the primary swap, and the root filesystem, respectively. These must always be contiguous and located at the beginning of the system disk in this exact order. (The current HP-UX bootloader code does not really understand LVM nor VxVM: it relies on this order to find the things it needs.)

If you also have MirrorDisk and are willing to temporarily un-mirror your vg00, you can technically extend those three LVs too without rebooting, although the procedure is rather complex: making an Ignite backup and restoring it using adjusted LV sizes is much easier and less prone to catastrophic typos.

MK
MK
PamelaJThrasher
Regular Advisor

Thank you. I thought so but a teammate told me it could not be done.
Chandrahasa s
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Can be done if you have online Jfs.

lvextend -L totallvsize lvname

fsadm -b fssizeM /mountpoint

Chandra
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

The only 3 LVs that can NOT be extended, at least not at all easily, online are /, /stand and your primary swap (lvol2). The reason is that those are configured to be contiguous.

All other standard VG00 lvols can be extended online.
PamelaJThrasher
Regular Advisor