4069 Online
108791 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CD Writing

admin1979
Super Advisor

CD Writing

Hello,

Recently we created an ISO of Oracle 11g software on our Linux host. (SUSE Linux Enterprise Server SP2).

The command used for this is ,

mkisofs -ldots -o oracle_x86_11g.iso database/

The iso when burn on a DVD drive WIN XP machine,all seems ok except one of the scripts name got truncated.

Original Name : runInstaller
After CD writing : runinsta

Why ? and how do we avoid it.

Let me tell you that its not the case where WIN XP is showing such name. The name got truncated in the ISO itself. This is how I verified it. By mounting the ISO on /mnt

mount -o loop -t iso9660 oracle_x86_11g.iso /mnt

ls -lrt /mnt
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2911 Aug 3 2007 runinsta

I am not sure if any other files are also truncated .

Please suggest.

Thanx
admin
10 REPLIES 10
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: CD Writing

hi,

check this link :

http://www.unix.com/sun-solaris/24485-mkisofs-long-file-names.html

hope it will help you with the log file name support.

mikap
admin1979
Super Advisor

Thanks for the reply. Following the link, changed the command to

mkisofs -l -L -D -R -ldots -o oracle_x86_11g.iso database/

Hope this is all ok.
Goran┬аKoruga
Honored Contributor

Hi.

You probably want to use -J switch - the link above mentiones -R, but I don't think Windows handles Rock Ridge extensions, so use Joliet instead.

Goran
admin1979
Super Advisor

Goran,

I am now confused a bit. The man says if the media only needs to be used on Windows then use Juliet. ( -J )
But in our case it will be used as a Oracle Installer on UNIX systems.
So ??
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

-R (or -r) causes long filenames (and permissions, UID and GID values) be stored in Unix-compatible way (=Rock Ridge standard). But Windows uses another standard, called Joliet.

You should use the -J option to generate Windows-compatible long filenames.

A disk can be created using both "-r" and "-J" options. Then the long filenames should be readable just about anywhere.

Windows will understand only -J style long filenames. HP-UX will understand only -r (or -R) style. Linux can understand either one.

MK
MK
admin1979
Super Advisor

Ok if it so then sounds good. SO I changed my command once again to create ISO,

mkisofs -l -L -D -R -J -ldots -o oracle_x86_11g-1.iso database/

It started giving below warnings and finished.

Using ORACLE_SERVER_11_1_0_6_0000.BAK;1 for database/stage/oracle.server.11_1_0_6_0_1186134500223.bak (oracle.server.11_1_0_6_0_1186134500590.bak)
Using ORACLE_SERVER11_1_0000.PROPERTI;1 for database/stage/sizes/oracle.server11.1.0.6.0Custom.sizes.properties (oracle.server11.1.0.6.0SE.sizes.properties)
Using ORACLE_SERVER11_1_0001.PROPERTI;1 for database/stage/sizes/oracle.server11.1.0.6.0SE.sizes.properties (oracle.server11.1.0.6.0EE.sizes.properties)

What does the above means?
Goran┬аKoruga
Honored Contributor

Sorry it's me who was confused, for whatever reason I thought you will use this on Windows since it doesn't show files properly there.

In any case, you can safely use both -R and -J at the same time, -R takes precedence in Linux anyway.

Goran
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

That is information only, not a warning.
It lists the ISO9660 filenames used on the disk, just in case you might need them for some reason.

Try mounting your .iso file and see how the names turned out.

Then umount the .iso and try again, this time explicitly disabling both long filename extensions:

mount -o loop,norock,nojoliet -t iso9660 oracle_x86_11g.iso /mnt

Now you should see again the truncated filenames listed by the mkisofs command. This is how an old OS with no support for neither Rock Ridge nor Joliet would see the disc.

Umount the .iso again, and then simulate a Windows system (Joliet only, no Rock Ridge):

mount -o loop,norock -t iso9600 oracle_x86_11g.iso /mnt

Now you'll see the filenames as a MS Windows system would see them.

MK
MK
admin1979
Super Advisor

Ok having used the options -J & -R both , i could get desirable results. Also the filenames appear as it is , on Windows as well.

So looks ok. Last testing we will perform by actually installing Oracle with this dvd.
Lets see.

Thanx all.