6175 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CDE will not load after reboot

Scott McDade
Frequent Advisor

CDE will not load after reboot

Hello:

I had somebody power down one of my C3600/11i systems without shutting down properly. Now when we attempt to bring the workstation back up CDE will not load. It prompts you for a User login with a login prompt (not a CDE login) and when you enter a userid it loops right back to the promot and instructs you to check the /var/dt/Xerror file. Has anyone seen this before? I have included the Xerror and appended the /etc/RC.log at the bottom of the flle. Is there anywhere else I should check?
Keep it Simple!~
4 REPLIES 4
Lorenzo Facello
Valued Contributor
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Scott,

Looking at your rc log, your NIS start, your DCE start, and your swagent start all failed. The reason is not obvious form rc log. I would reboot the workstation and watch the console for errors like disk failures, mount failures, etc.

Pete

Pete
Francisco J. Soler
Honored Contributor

Hi Scott, this could be very awful,

I have had the same problem, i wasn't been able to resolve it, but perhaps some ideas from the thread could help you.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=555750

Frank
Linux?. Yes, of course.
Rick Beldin
HPE Pro

Your Xserver which is usually started by CDE's dtlogin is failing. That is the meaning of the message in Xerrors - server unexpectedly died.

To find out more about what is causing the failure, run X interactively:

- login at console
- /usr/bin/X11/X

If successful, this should bring up a gray screen with an X pointer in the middle. If it does, then use ctrl-shift-break to kill it. I don't it will, but instead we should get some messages that indicate what the problem is. Likely there are socket files being left around or bad permissions on something but since the system was powered down harshly, we might be looking at file system corruption.

I'm seeing some message in your rc.log that indicate /var/tmp can't be found causing other things to fail. This may be just an indicator of further filesystem damage. X will expect to be able to write to /var/X11/Xserver/logs/X0.log or Xf86.log and if it can't, it could refuse to start.
Necessary questions: Why? What? How? When?