1748274 Members
4088 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: distinct printing issue alog with CUPS

skt_skt
Honored Contributor

distinct printing issue alog with CUPS

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.2 (Tikanga)
]# rpm -qa|grep -i cup
cups-libs-1.2.4-11.18.el5
cups-1.2.4-11.18.el5

We have some specific situation which CUPS/LINUX is constantly stopping working and the users are not able to print their invoices until somebody clean the the print queue manually.Same printer been shared between Windows and LINUX

here is how we simultae the issue

The printer was OK and an user sent a "large" document (email) to the printer from Windows.After this not able to print from LINUX/CUPS.We requested to the user to delete this print from his windows queue and right after that, we could print document from Windows again ; but not from LINUX again. We have to deleting all queues inside the specific printer/queue then we will be able to print from cups/LINUX again.

why would a windows job interupt a CUPS queue?

from http:hostnaem:631

i see ""/usr/lib/cups/backend/socket failed"

Description: Printer SpedEBS01_Refi_1 with Upper Tray
Make and Model: HP LaserJet 4000 Foomatic/hpijs
Printer State: stopped, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: socket://200.0.35.73
4 REPLIES 4
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

I just did did a ├в start printer├в from CUPS├в GUI and pending jobs got cleared.

Not sure what made the printer "stopped" and why it would report "/usr/lib/cups/backend/socket failed"
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

in CUPS's GUI there is an optoon called error policy for each print queue which i made "retry-job" from "stop printer" and keeping under observation.
Stephen P. Schaefer
Frequent Advisor

In my experience, HP printers are not reliable if a second job from the network arrives while the printer is in the midst of working on a first job. I avoid the situation by designating one machine (doesn't matter if it's Windows with the lpd package or Unix; whatever you're more comfortable configuring) to be the print spooling machine. Only that machine sends jobs directly to the printer, one at a time. All the other machines send jobs to the spooling printer server. You of course want to choose a reliable machine as the print spooler. With this configuration, the HP network print jobs are very reliable.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

I agree with Stephen: this is a common problem.

However, I seem to remember that once upon a time there was a JetDirect firmware update that was supposed to improve JetDirect's behaviour with multiple simultaneous connections. Is your JetDirect firmware up to date?

MK
MK