1748202 Members
2910 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL 385 G7 debain

deano777

DL 385 G7 debain

HI,

I'm trying to get debian 5.0.8 i386 installed on a DL 385 G7. I have updated all firmware using the 930 smart firmware DVD it installs fine but on reboot hangs at the starting kernel point.

Does this server on support 64bit OS's although HP does list 32bit support?

How do I get debain installed on this server?

thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Press E in the GRUB boot menu to edit the boot configuration.

If the kernel command line includes the "quiet" or "splash" options, remove them and press Enter, then B to boot using the modified boot configuration - you should see much more output in that case. What are the last few lines of output when it hangs, exactly?

If you try to boot it using the rescue mode of the Debian installation DVD, will it start up?

If it starts up that way, it might be a problem related to the bootloader or initrd.

DL385 G7 *definitely* supports 64-bit OSs.

HP says if you use RHEL 5 on this server, you must install a RedHat kernel update that was released in December 2009, or else the server won't work reliably. Is Debian 5.0.8 an absolute requirement for you? Have you tried installing Debian 6 instead, just to confirm it works?

MK
MK
deano777

Hi,

yes it works fine on 64bit 5.0.8

HP does list 32bit support and it works with 6.0.1a

we have our own software to install which we have never tested on 64bit, as this server is for a customer we would need to fully test first.

cheers
Bryan Gartner
Valued Contributor

FYI, there is a Customer Advisory for this same platform corresponding to 32bit installations on the AMD platforms (c02700815) suggesting to use the "apic=bigsmp" boot paramater (this applies to single AMD Opteron 6000-series processor units, at least)

Please give that a try and report back.
deano777

Hi,

will let you know. Why couldn't this have been included in the debian proliant instantiation instructions!!! from HP.
Bryan Gartner
Valued Contributor

which instructions (from HP) are you referencing?
Bryan Gartner
Valued Contributor

Oh, ok an older version, but we haven't seemed to updated it recently either. I'll look into getting that done for you. Again, let me know if that resolved it for you, please.