1752278 Members
4879 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360P G8 Ubuntu 14.04 P420i raid controller

Beverage
Occasional Visitor

DL360P G8 Ubuntu 14.04 P420i raid controller

I have a question about Ubuntu 14.04 install. I booted to the Ubuntu install disk and go through the install process. The installer seems to see the raid arrays and seems to install to the selected drive but when it comes to installing GRUB it fails to install to /dev/sda. I boot to the repair mode after installation and mount the VG ubuntu--vg-root and try to install GRUB grub-install /dev/sda this gives me the error /dev/sda is read-only.....so am I missing a driver for the P420i or what I assume I do not need anything since it sees the raid arrays from the installer and it says that it created all the partitions and installed. It just will not install GRUB....

If I need to load a driver can someone tell me how to go about that process? I am confused since the installer can see the raid arrays and seems to install all but GRUB....

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: DL360P G8 Ubuntu 14.04 P420i raid controller

Sounds like the VID (Virtual Install Disk) is enable in NVRAM. The VID is read only and will appear to the OS as a disk. Go into RBSU and disable the VID.

Advanced Options - Advanced System ROM Options - Virtual Install DIsk

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Beverage
Occasional Visitor

@Jimmy Vance wrote:

Sounds like the VID (Virtual Install Disk) is enable in NVRAM. The VID is read only and will appear to the OS as a disk. Go into RBSU and disable the VID.

Advanced Options - Advanced System ROM Options - Virtual Install DIsk

THANK YOU that was the problem.

Can you tell me what exactly the VID(Virtual Install Disk) is used for?

Thanks,

Brian

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

the original intent was to store boot critical drivers for supported versions of Windows and Linux. The drivers are there (or they were last time I looked), but the VID is turned off by default as it was causing user issue like you just experienced. All the OS's wanted to use it as disk media

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!