1752591 Members
3512 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: driver availability for HP hardware

rawlins02
Occasional Visitor

driver availability for HP hardware

I'm looking into setting up linux on HP DL380 G4 server. This is the SCSI model with Smart Array 6i Ultra320 Array Controller. Sever is connected to HP MSA20 storage array and a HP 1/8 G2 tape autoloader.  System is running Windows at the moment. I need to be sure that I can run linux on this setup. The drives are set up in RAID5 and I'll likely replicate that again. I understand that software RAID works well.  I've experience with administering linux for individual workstations but not with quite this type of hardware arrangement.  I'd probably go with Ubuntu Storage Server if possible.Suggestions? Thanks.

Mike

3 REPLIES 3
rawlins02
Occasional Visitor

More directly:

Are drivers that will work for Ubuntu Sever Edition 10.04 LTS available for these three peices of HP hardware?  Or perhaps this is not the right forum for this inquiry?

Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

Hi! This is the right forum, just a bit slow because there just was a huge migration...

Have a look at these two pages from HP:

rawlins02
Occasional Visitor

Thany you Michael. Those pages will be very helpful. I see RedHat mentioned often in association with HP hardware. I wasn't sure about Ubuntu or Debian.

The info I've seen suggests that Linux (Ubuntu included) should run fine on G6 servers. I've got a G4 Proliant. From what I understand the drivers should work OK for that older version. But guess there's only one way to find out.....

I'm also looking into whether there are any issues with drivers/firmware to run Ubuntu Storage Server on the MSA20 mass storage unit.  

When I get started soon, setting up software RAID 5 will be my first step. If anyone sees anything problematic with this approach for my hardware setup, please let me know.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SoftwareRAID

Mike