5618 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EMC LUN presented to RHEL 5.3

AVV
Super Advisor

EMC LUN presented to RHEL 5.3

Hi Gurus,

I have a rhel 5.3 64 bit linux server with vg00. Now we presented 6 LUNs to this from EMC storage. powermt display dev=all shows me the paths but can anyone help me to configure these disks on an LVM. How do we do pvcreate or on which path we have to. Please clarify me on this. I am attaching the output of powermt here with.

1. pvcreate on what path ???
2. how do we see the same from RHEL

5 REPLIES 5
Prasanth V Aravind
Trusted Contributor

>> 1. pvcreate on what path ???

you have to configure with Pseudo names.

pvcreate /dev/emcpowerf
pvcreate /dev/emcpowere

Gudluck
Prasanth
Gerardo Arceri
Trusted Contributor

Hi, pvcreate /dev/emcpowerXX should to the trick.

I strongly suggest you add the following filter line to /etc/lvm.conf so LVM uses the emcpower devices instead of sd*.
Make sure you comment out any existing "filter" lines.

filter = [ "a|^/dev/emcpower[a-z]*|","a|^/dev/cciss/.*|","r/.*/" ]
AVV
Super Advisor

Hi ,

I created the vg as said....but when I do a vgdisplay -v vg01, it shows me the the /dev/sdX path of the disk instead of /dev/emcpowerX . I did pvcreate/vgcreate on /dev/emcpowerX device file only. Pls assist.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

As Gerardo said, you should edit /etc/lvm/lvm.conf.

1.) In the "devices {" group near the beginning of the lvm.conf file, there is a line:

preferred_names = [ ]

Comment out the default line, and write in a custom filter instead. The result should look like this:

# preferred_names = [ ]
preferred_names = [ "^/dev/emcpower", "^/dev/mapper/", "^/dev/mapper/mpath", "/dev/[hs]d" ]

This will cause the LVM to prefer the EMC devices if it sees more than one PV with the same PV identifier (= the same LUN through different paths).

2.) Gerardo's filter line can achieve the same effect, but it assumes you are running on a Proliant system and have your vg00 on a SmartArray controller.

MK
MK
AVV
Super Advisor

Thanks