108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: fbackup clone oracle

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gilbert Standen_1
Frequent Advisor

fbackup clone oracle

Is anyone using fbackup to clone an oracle applications system and database? We are currently using a set of scripts, but I'm wondering if fbackup could be used more effectively. I looked at ignite, but that seems to be a bit too much firepower for just cloning some directory systems from one box to another. Any other methods that are working well also of interest !
If I could take one thing with me into the next world it would be my valid login to HP ITRC Forums
5 REPLIES 5
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

fbackup will be the most efficient and reliable method. Ignite was never designed to backup data directories...it is designed to create or restore opsystems. Other tools like tar, cpio, pax, dump. etc are archaic and totally unaware of the differences between various tape devices. And the classic backup tools don't handle large files (10's of Gbytes). frecover can easily restore to a diffent path as well as recover from tape errors.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Well with trying to clone Oracle, it does have some special links that are required on each system. Using 'ignite' is easy than it may seem. To recover files it is quite easy.

e.g to recover /etc/hosts
# mt -t /dev/rmt/?mn fsf 1
# tar xvf /dev/rmt/?mn etc/hosts

You could set up 'fbackup' using a graph file, but it may depend on exactlt what you wish to achieve.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
malay boy
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
Well you can clone the database using fbackup.
But remember to shutdown the database before you take the backup.
Next after the copy the clone to new place , I guest you recreate the control file.Becuase the directory path might be different from the original database.

I attached here the script I used to recreate the control file.

regards
mB
There are three person in my team-Me ,myself and I.
Amiel Tutolo
Frequent Advisor

I use a freeware product called Rsync. This allows you to copy directory stuctures and files to any HPUX system that allows remsh connections. I use this to backup my data and ORacle binaries to another machine (along with local tape backups). The DBA setups the init files and basically we have a standby database ready to go in the event of an emergency (This is in conjunction with our true standby database). Rsync also use compression so that you get better through put. I can send this to you if you would like.
Live, love and laugh
Gilbert Standen_1
Frequent Advisor

Yes, could you send what you can about rsync please. You can email me as gs1114@stl.rural.usda.gov
and it is appreciated!

Also, based on some checking/testing I did myself, it looks like named pipes are not compatible with scp, so that approach would seem to be unavailable.
If I could take one thing with me into the next world it would be my valid login to HP ITRC Forums