1752483 Members
5986 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: File access right

ivy1234
Frequent Advisor

File access right

We have a database on unix server , the current file permission of the database is 444 ( file owner is root ) , we use it for long time without any problem . Now we have a application that need to connect this database ( the application is run by a spsecific user ) , and it requires the last bit of the database file permission is read & write ( eg . 446 , 556 , 666 etc ) , another two bit can be any permission , ( if not set to xx6 , it pops the file can not be read ) .

We know that it is not appropriate to release write permission to the critical file , I considered to release the root group to the specific user , but it seems not good for security reason .

For our case ,create a new group and release it to the specific user and the database is the only choice for me ? except this method , is there other method that I can use ?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
DeafFrog
Valued Contributor

hi ,
Hi ,
which DB file is that , what is the database (oracle,sybase,Mysql) , for oracle .dbf can have these valid permission , and application interacts/queries with DB (oracle) and not unix directly and they all coexist happily

-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 7340040192 Jan 22 08:07 ACCT_TRANS_1_sINDB.dbf
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 534781952 Jan 22 08:18 B2K_SYSTEM_1_sINDB.dbf
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 1059069952 Jan 22 08:46 B2K_TEMP_1_sINDB.dbf

Reg
FrogIsDeaf
ivy1234
Frequent Advisor

I would like to simplify the question .

can advise if I want the specific user have the read & write to the database file ( the file mode of database file is 444 and can not be changed ) , what can i do ?

I tried to create a system permission group , and assign this group to root and the specific user ( for the application ) but it is not work .

Ccurrently root have following groups .

#id root
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root),1(bin),2(daemon),3(sys),4(adm),6(disk)
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

You need to enable ACL
Regards
Shibin
ivy1234
Frequent Advisor

Thanks reply ,

I am not familiar with ACL setting , can advise if I want to release read & write permission to user1 , how to do it ? thx
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor