Operating System - Linux
1748104 Members
4524 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Find if my system is Local o SAN (remotely)

SOLVED
Go to solution
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Find if my system is Local o SAN (remotely)

hi

I just got some linux servers that I have to manage remotely

I want to know if the linux Red hat is installed on Local Hard Drive or if the OS is installed on SAN, either OS or data how can I find where the data is/was installed

fdisk -l does not mention type o storage...
any other idea

thanks
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

You left out the RedHat version, which would be kind of important to know in this case. Mainly I'd like to know if the system has kernel 2.6.*, 2.4.*, or something even older, as the jump from 2.4.* series to 2.6.* brought some major changes in the storage subsystem.

I'm going to assume 2.6.* kernel unless you tell me otherwise.

If your system uses LVM, multipathing or any other advanced storage features, you must first find out how they map to base disk devices (/dev/sd*, /dev/hd* or /dev/cciss/*). Depending on exactly what features are used, "dmsetup ls --tree" and/or "cat /proc/mdstat" may be useful here.

If you see /dev/cciss, you have a SmartArray RAID controller. Use the SmartArray tools to get more information. The "show config detail" command in the recent hpacucli versions is pretty useful here.

With /dev/sd* or /dev/hd*, take a peek to the /sys virtual filesystem.

For example, to find out what kind of device is /dev/sda, run "ls -ld /sys/block/sda/device". The output will be something like this (example from my home PC):
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2009-12-09 07:10 device -> ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0

Now run "lspci" and find out what type of device is 0000:00:1f.2:

lspci -v -s 0000:00:1f.2

00:1f.2 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation 82801 SATA RAID Controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: ABIT Computer Corp. Device 1084

Hmm, a SATA RAID controller, apparently integrated to the motherboard. That's a local disk, then!

If you find e.g. an iSCSI or a FibreChannel HBA in this way, you'll know the disks are at least a bit more remote. But is it a SAN or just a local FC-attached disk box?

"cat /proc/scsi/scsi" or the nice RHEL 5 command "lsscsi" may provide more clues. Something like "Vendor: EMC Model: SYMMETRIX" is definitely SAN hardware.

MK
MK
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

thanks a lot
it is red hat Ent 5.0
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!