5648 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Frecover not recovering file even though its on index

TenaciousJohnny
Occasional Contributor

Frecover not recovering file even though its on index

Hi,

I am trying to recover a file from a fbackup archive. The index I get with frecover -I index convirms that the file /mydirectory/myfile is present along with 7 other files in /mydirectory. The sizes listed next to each file look correct.

When I run the frecover -xvF -f /dev/rmt/1m -i /mydirectory/myfile command, it comes back with file not recovered.

If I recover the whole /mydirectory, it only recovers 3 of the 8 files on the index. The files it did recover are the three smallest so I thought maybe I was running out of space on the file system I was recovering to but I have checked definately amn't.

OS is HPUX 11i

Can anyone advise? Are these files lost?

TIA

Johnny
7 REPLIES 7
TenaciousJohnny
Occasional Contributor

Re: Frecover not recovering file even though its on index

Hi,

Panic over. Realized that the file system I'm recovering to isn't set up for large files. I'm sure if I recover to the originating file system they will work.

Cheers,

Johnny
TenaciousJohnny
Occasional Contributor

Emm, panic back on. Recovering to the original file system which does have large file support is still not working. ANy suggestions?
Manix
Honored Contributor

try with a graph file ..

To recover a list of particular FILEs using graph files which contain the list of file names to be recovered or skipped.:
# frecover -x -g /tmp/tape/dbf.txt -f /dev/rmt/0m
HP-UX been always lovable - Mani Kalra
Manix
Honored Contributor

to recover a single file you may try.

# frecover -x -i /path/filename -f /dev/rmt/0m

This thread may be helpful i guess.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/General/frecover-error/m-p/3018791#M74789

HP-UX been always lovable - Mani Kalra
TenaciousJohnny
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for replying Manix. I'm clear on how to recover individual files or directories. In this case frecover is giving me a message telling me that the file in question has not been recovered. This is despite the fact that the file in question is listed in the index. Its not a case of me making a typo on the file name. I have tried recovering the directory containing the file I want, & some of the files listed in the index in that directory are recovered, however the file I want isn't. I was really hoping someone might have cocme across a scenario where files were listed in the index file but frecover was unable to recover them.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Johnny:

> When I run the frecover...it comes back with file not recovered.

The 'fbackup' utility constructs an index of files to-be-backed-up as part of its initial processing. This index file is then written to the output archive (usually a tape). This does *not* mean that a file that was present when the index was created will be present for subsequent backup.

Regards!

...JRF...
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>JRF: This does *not* mean that a file that was present when the index was created will be present for subsequent backup.

Hopefully there would be a message saying it was removed when you completed fbackup.

This typically happens for files in /tmp and /var/tmp. For other places, you should investigate when you see the messages.