1753918 Members
7840 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

gcore for HP-UX 10.20

Thierry Abalea

gcore for HP-UX 10.20

I search an HP-UX 10.20 porting of gcore (an utility for generating a core image of a running process). Could you help me, please ?
Thanks in advance.

Thierry.
3 REPLIES 3
Elena Leontieva
Esteemed Contributor

Re: gcore for HP-UX 10.20

Thierry,

There is no gcore on HP-UX. See more details in:
http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000068402119

Elena.
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi Thierry,

I don't know of how much help is this to you. But you can use "kill -3" to generate the core. But it will terminate the process and it can be trapped. So, there is no guarantee that you will get the core if the signal is trapped inside the code.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Thierry Abalea

-- About Elena's answer :
* Concerning the generation of a core image file of a process running under a debugger in the middle of execution on HP-UX, there are :
1) WDB (the HP-supported implementation of the GDB debugger) version 4.0 for Itanium. It includes a new 'dumpcore' command. (<>).
2) GDB (the GNU Project Debugger of the Free Software Foundation) version 5.3. It have been configured and ported to HP-UX 11.00. And this version includes a new 'gcore' command. (<>)

* The tips describe on the page mentioned by you (<>) doesn't work if the signal 'SIGQUIT' (kill -3 child_pid) is trapped.

-- About Sridhar's answer :
Unfortunately, in my problem, the signal 'SIGQUIT' (kill -3 pid) is trapped.

-- Thank you for your help.
I think I will try to include 'dumpcore' command in WDB version 3.0.01 for HP-UX 10.20. Or perhaps, I will write a small stand-alone utility to do this job, inspired by the source code of WDB or GDB".

Thierry.