4225 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: getprpw returns no output

Michele Musto
Occasional Advisor

getprpw returns no output

Hi,

I have a strange occurrance! On one of my HPUX 11.11 systems when I issue /usr/lbin/getprpw -l username I only get the command prompt returned. On my other systems I get the full output of the users definitions.

Some history, it worked until a user account was locked and the password expired. the getprpw showed lockout=0010001. I used /usr/lbin/modprpw -k username, but lockout would not reset to zero. I tried 'reactivate' through sam, which said it executed successfully, but the user stayed in the deactivated state. Then after reading some blogs I tried /usr/lbin/modprpw -e username. The account did not reactivate, and now the getprpw does not return output for any username.
All the user accounts are fine. The /tcb/files/auth directory exists and has all the correct entries. And pwck command output is valid. I deleted and re-added the original problem user and he can now log in successfully..

Any idea why the getprpw id behaving this way?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

Problem is for a specific user ? did you try another user ?

Did you check the system logs ?
Michele Musto
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the quick response!

"Problem is for a specific user? did you try another user?"

This getprpw does not return output for any user tried.

Did you check the system logs?

There are no error messaages in the syslog.
Michele Musto
Occasional Advisor

Additional information.

I have captured the return value for the command -

# /usr/lbin/getprpw -l username
# echo $?

I am not sure what this return value means, but on my working systems the value is zero.

Thanks.
Michele Musto
Occasional Advisor

After more research and see that the 126 meant that a 'command was found but could not be executed' I discovered that the modprpw and getprpw files were empty. I copied them from another system and they now return the proper output.

I have no idea how they became corrupted.
Michele Musto
Occasional Advisor

modprpw and getprpw were corrupted. copied from another system.