New Discussion юеВ

Re: grub error due to full hard drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dietmar Schulke
Occasional Advisor

grub error due to full hard drive

Hello!

I have a dual boot system with Linux and Win2k.
Last night I was testing a TV recorder card and I let it fill all of drive F:, which is NOT a bootable drive (it's a FAT32, for media stuff).
It all worked fine and the card just stopped recording after it filled that drive.
I turned off the computer later and in the morning switched it on again, but to my surprise the boot manager (GRUB) displayed only "error 16" and then halted. Error 16 means that there is an

"Inconsistent filesystem structure - This error is returned by the filesystem code to denote an internal error caused by the sanity checks of the filesystem structure on disk not matching what it expects. This is usually caused by a corrupt filesystem or bugs in the code handling it in GRUB."

I made a google search and saw that the same happened to someone else, too ...
Anyway, I don't have a clue how to solve this.
I'm no expert, so all i tried was to connect the drive as a slave to another computer, but that didn't work - the drive seemed not to be formatted.
I guess it would be enough to delete something from the F drive, if there isn't any permanent solution ....

Any ideas?
Thanx in advance, Dietmar.
6 REPLIES 6
Bejoy C Alias
Respected Contributor
Solution

If the second pc to which u connected the drive is a linux pc and it is not showing the partitions in linux , then u may not get the data back without using any third party tools . If it was not a linux pc then try connecting to a linux pc and try to mount the partitions .
Be Always Joy ......
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

If you use GRUB, your linux version should be newer enough to recover from the installation CD.

Boot with the Installation CD 1, and type linux rescue. The installation process will begin but it will end in a "recovery console".

If your linux installation is recognized, you will get a message, indicating that you can use chroot /mnt/sysimage to access it.

Run that command and then reinstall GRUB, using:

grub-install /dev/(device special file)

Like:

grub-install /dev/hda

You must install grub on the active partition, you can see the active partition with fdisk -l (*). If the active partition is 1, then you must install on the MBR, that is, without specifying any partition, as the example showed above.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Dietmar Schulke
Occasional Advisor

Bejoy: It wasn't a linux pc, but I don't have another.
Ivan: I could do that, but i want to be sure not to screw up my data - is this second grub installation reversible or not? I mean, can i make a back-up ...
Thank you, both!
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

If GRUB is on your MBR, you can make a backup of your MBR before issuing the grub-install command. To do that, after chroot /mnt/sysimage, run:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/etc/hda.mbr bs=512 count=1

If something goes wrong, you can restore the MBR using:

dd if=/etc/hda.mbr of=/dev/hda

In this case, is the Primary Master IDE disk.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Bejoy C Alias
Respected Contributor

If u want to boot the linux then Ivan's idea should work . If u want to take the backup of ur files kept in the linux partitions then u can boot through the intallation cd and when it shows the welcome screen u can go to the console using ctrl+alt+F2 ( or F1 ?? ) . There u can make a temp mount point in /tmp and mount the windows fat32 partition . Copy those files to the mounted win partition and restart the machine to windows . check whether the copied files are there in the win partition .
Be Always Joy ......
Dietmar Schulke
Occasional Advisor

I tried with a cd operation system anbd it works.
It can see the linux partition and both fat32 partitions, though i can't see the windows partition...
Now that i can access the f drive, do you think it is a good idea just to delete some files that made this whole problem, ie. the mpg files i was making with my tv tuner?
That seems to me the best and easiest idea, but i don't know if it's safe to do that.
As i'm no expert, i'm a little bit afraid to do anything, though something has to be done ...
Thanx, guys, for your time and patience!