1752815 Members
5868 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Have you heard of collectl yet?

Mark Seger
Occasional Advisor

Have you heard of collectl yet?

About 5+ years ago I wrote a performance monitoring tool for linux systems based on the highly successful 'collect' tool for Tru64, so naturally the name "collect for linux" seemed like a natural, or collectl for short. Initially is was pretty much used for internal testing and benchmarking, but soon made it into the SFS and XC product stacks, particularly because of its support for HPC technologies such as Infiniband and Lustre.

To cut to the chase I open-sourced it about a year ago at http://collectl.sourceforge.net/ and a couple of weeks ago it was added into the fedora distribution. It has a whole slew of feature that you can read about on the 'features' page.

My goal was to try and take the best ideas from most tools and then add some of my own on top of that and I think what I ended up with is pretty useful. So take it for a spin and don't be bashful about asking for help as I'm always looking to make it better and easier to use.

-mark
14 REPLIES 14
Oviwan
Honored Contributor

Re: Have you heard of collectl yet?

Hey

Thanks for share this. I will check it out. I think it'ss something similar to nmon?
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/library/au-analyze_aix/

Regards
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Collectl is a great tool, I been using it since I found it a long time ago.

The only thing that I would add is collectl -sp, as it available in Tru64, to sample process that where executed in that moment.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Mark Seger
Occasional Advisor

Not sure what you mean about monitoring processes. Collectl has had that capability since day 1 (maybe you got lost in all the switches like so many other people). Actually to monitor processes you need to do -sZ (at the time I was using -sp to monitor partitions and so 'p' wasn't available).

With -sZ not only can you monitor processes, you can see threads, I/O If you run "collectl --top" you'll see top processes (not really a big deal since top will already do that) but if you do "collectl --top io --procots t", you'll see the list of top processes including threaded ones! only thing is your kernel will need to support reporting process I/O.

-mark
Mark Seger
Occasional Advisor

I almost forgot, you can actually mix other types of subsystems with --top, so if you do "collectl --top -scdn", you'll not only see top processes you also see a scrolling window that shows cpu, disk and network traffic. Naturally you can use any subsystems you like in the request. There's a lot more info on process monitoring at: http://collectl.sourceforge.net/Process.html
-mark
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Having that information, I just have to say that it's the best tool from my point of view. Thank you Mark.

I will add to my "performance" Linux course ;).
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Mark Seger
Occasional Advisor

Glad you're enjoying it. You (and others) might also be interested in the current version I'm working on. I'm adding support for monitoring fan/temp data using ipmi! Every wonder what -sE does or why there are actually 3 different monitoring intervals? This has been in the original version and never did anything but I'm hoping that now it will now.

I'm experimenting with reading fan/temp data with 'ipmitool' and while the output from different systems varies, I have a pretty general parsing algorithm that looks promising, but as new systems become available their formats will possibly be different and may break collectl. My current design will allow users to write their own rules to deal with the different formats, but it remains to be seen how workable that will be.

If anyone is interested in trying out a pre-release copy let me know but I do have to warn you it IS experimental and could very well change. Just be forewarned, this will require you have ipmitool installed and operational and if things get too complex I may have to drop the feature in a future release.

-mark
SJO EGGER
Regular Advisor

thank├В┬┤s mark!

i├В┬┤m from the tru64 world and missed this tool over-all.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Please let me know when you port it to Solaris ;)
Deepak Kr
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for this info.

is this also available for HP-UX???
"There is always some scope for improvement"