1752598 Members
5481 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Help please! System crash and won't boot

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Could you please record the output and post?

However, you probably damaged the filesystem.

In this case a restore is the only way out.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Tim Medford
Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for your help yesterday.  After 4.5 hours on the phone with HP level1 support we were unable to fix the problem.  We tried all of the above suggestions, and even a recovery shell from the installation media.  There was a bad superblock on the boot sector and fsck was not able to repair it.  I had to do a cold install from media and then recover from data protector backups.  That was 12 hours of my life I will never get back.

chris huys_4
Honored Contributor

A ignite network server, were a ignite network image of this server would have been stored on,  would have saved you a lot of time. 

And its to late offcourse, but my actionplan would have been, to present a new 50 gbyte lun of what looks like a eva diskarray, to be presented to this host, cold install on this lun a core-os from cd/dvd/ignite server , and try to import the vg00 with the problem internal p400 lun this way as a datavolumegroup on the just installed core-os vg00, and then try to repair it.

At least then you would see what really was the problem.

Tim Medford
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the advice again.  It was really the perfect-storm scenario here, I got caught with my pants down.  I normally have ignite backups and even alternate boot disks for all of our servers, even the development ones.  

We are in the middle of a big migration from hpux 11.23 and 11.31.  This server had just been built a couple weeks ago and was temporarily being used as our data protector cell manager during the migration.

It was a good reminder of why I always have at least 2 alternate ways to boot my systems in addition to the primary boot path.