Operating System - Linux
1752806 Members
6544 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to compose a multiple IP address to go thru the internet to a specific host?

SOLVED
Go to solution
tony j. podrasky
Valued Contributor

How to compose a multiple IP address to go thru the internet to a specific host?

Good Afternoon Everybody;

I have 2 apps: ECOBEE (which allows me to control my HVAC from my iPhone) and an SSH app that allows me to login into my Linux boxes.. BOTH of them work fine over my home WiFi - but only the ecobee works on a WiFi that is not local.

I've given it a lot of thought and it seems to me that multiple IP addresses need to be used/resolved: The IP of my cable company, the IP of my cable modem, the IP of the host I want to connect to.

What does an app like the ecobee do so that I can be anywhere in the world, click the icon, and it connects to the eccobee in my house?

Is it possible to use SSH anywhere in the world and have it connect to one of my hosts?

regards, tony

REMEMBER: Once you eliminate your #1 problem, #2 gets a promotion.
1 REPLY 1
tony j. podrasky
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: How to compose a multiple IP address to go thru the internet to a specific host?

Well, I GOOGLED a couple of phrases and got the answer - and if you have a static IP on your cable MODEM, you're set!

All I had to do is SSH to my DHCP address port 22 and I got right in to my host computer.

regards, toy

REMEMBER: Once you eliminate your #1 problem, #2 gets a promotion.