4385 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to detect a drive failure

robyhp
Occasional Advisor

how to detect a drive failure

Hi all,

configuration scenario: HP server with HP smart array configured for RAID with several drives; HP support pack for Linux is installed;

I would like to know which is the best practice ( I mean the best configuration) in which you get informed when a drive has failed ?

Do you have to set up a script to get informed (from the smart array) when a physical drive has failed ?
or
Does the controller sends alert to Linux that are in syslogs ?

Does anyone use "smartmond" daemon ?

It is a best practice send an email when there are warning / failure ?

other ideas ?

sorry maybe I made a lot of question on the topic but I would like to figure out a best practice on the subject;

tanks in advance,
Roberto
7 REPLIES 7
avizen9
Esteemed Contributor

should use script which execute through crontab and will send email only when drive will fail.
robyhp
Occasional Advisor

Can you give me a hint about the right way to check for drive status ?

also will the smart array driver report some info about drive status in syslog ?

thanks
Roberto
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Here is what I have/do..

hp-health installed (should be part of support pack). this monitors server hardware and logs in /var/log/messages. I use a custom logtool script run every 15mins via cron and emails all NEW log messages to me.

You can also create a script to run hpacucli and send array stati via email..

hp-health also requires an updated snmpd, set up to send traps to trap server ( I use NNM )

robyhp
Occasional Advisor

thank you,
I will check hp-health (I actually do not remember this in the support pack, maybe I have missed something) and also hpacucli; I will be back to you with some feedback;

again thanks for the answer,
Roberto
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

easy check
rpm -qa|grep hp-
rpm -qa|grep hpacu

if not installed you can find the RPMs on the biz support website. use DL380 or something as search, then pick an OS, scoll down to software system management.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3288134&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121516&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4004#7832
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Proper way would be for you to have PSP installed plus HP SIM (Insight Manager) Installed.

The HP SIM manager will just inform you of *any* faults in your HP Server.

Theer should also be an option (not 100% sure) -- for you to configure alerts on HP SMH (System Management Home Page) which should have been installed alongside your PSP. Try accessing http://hplinuxserver.dom.com:2301 to check if SMH is properly installed.

Hakuna Matata.
wobbe
Respected Contributor