New Discussion юеВ

HOW TO FIND HBA DETAILS IN LINUX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kennedy G. Doss
Regular Advisor

HOW TO FIND HBA DETAILS IN LINUX

LINUX SAs:

How do I find the make/model of all my HBAs on my Linux Server? I am looking for something similar to "ioscan -fnC" in HP-UX.

At the moment, I use "dmesg | grep -i Fibre" to collect information. I dont always get the results if the message files have outgrown their size values.

Any input would be most appreciated.

Regards,
Kennedy
10 REPLIES 10
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: HOW TO FIND HBA DETAILS IN LINUX

You probably will find your HBA module in /etc/modprobe.conf. There you can identify with "modinfo" if the module is for QLOGIC or EMULEX. Then use SanSurfer (qlogic) or HBA Anywhere (emulex) to obtain detailed and accurate information.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Steven McCoy
Valued Contributor
Solution

I typically use 'lspci' to identify all peripherals, you could do:

lspci |grep -i -e fib -e hba
Hemmetter
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kennedy,

depending on kernel version you also can find some information under /sys.

search
/sys/class/scsi_host/host?/*
or
/sys/class/fc_host/host?/*

here you can find information about WWN, topology, speed, etc

rgds
HGH
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

dmesg gives info as well, you can find the logfile since boot in /var/log/dmesg.
Tirtha
Occasional Advisor

Hi..

You can find HBA details by
#df -h
Cory Kantar

I see above someone mentions lspci, you can add lspci -v, lspci -vv, and lspci -vvv for more verbosity.

Cory Kantar

Another thing i would like to add, sited from:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/dsichelp/ds8000ic/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.storage.ssic.help.doc/f2c_loclinux_192wga.html

Locating the WWPN for a Linux host

This topic describes several methods you can use to locate the worldwide port name (WWPN) for an Intel├В┬о or AMD host that is running the Linux├В┬о operating system.
About this task

* Locating the WWPN without restarting the host

To locate the WWPN without restarting the host, you can use any of the following methods:
o For QLogic or Emulex adapters, you can find the WWPN in the /proc/scsi/adapter_type/n directory, where adapter_type is the host adapter type and n is the host adapter number for your card. Your host adapter type can be either qlaxxxx for QLogic adapters or lpfc for Emulex adapters.
o If you downloaded a QLogic adapter from the QLogic Web site instead of using the default version that is shipped with RHEL, to find the WWPN run the cat /proc/scsi/adapter_type/n command, where adapter_type is the host adapter type (for example, qla2xxx or qla2300), and n is the host adapter number for your card.
o For a QLogic adapter that is shipped with RHEL 4.x or earlier, to find the WWPN run the cat /proc/scsi/adapter_type/n command, where adapter_type is the host adapter type, and n is the host adapter number for your card. In most cases, the adapter type is qla2xxx.
o For a QLogic adapter that is shipped with RHEL 5.x or later, the adapter WWPN information might not be available in the/proc/scsi/adapter_type/n directory because of the migration to sysfs, If this is the case, run the following command:

cat /sys/class/scsi_host/hostn/device/fchost\:hostn/port_name

where n is the host adapter number for your card.
John McNulty_2
Frequent Advisor

Actually, /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/device/fchost\:host0 (for example) is a symbolic link that points back to:

/sys/class/fc_host/host0

So you might as well just go there (less typing) and cat the contents of port_name, etc.

John
CNR for All UNIX

how to find out linux version and its HBA wwn's

Thanks & Regards,

CNR