Operating System - Linux
1748181 Members
3898 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to install plsp & exclude the qlogic drivers?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jonathan Collingridge
Occasional Advisor

How to install plsp & exclude the qlogic drivers?

On a BL480c and RHEL5.2-x86_64

I installed the full Proliant Support Pack, and had trouble with the qlogic drivers and dm-multipath. The red hat drivers worked fine with multipath.

So I've rebuilt the system, and want to selectively install the PLSP, ignoring the qlogic drivers (and maybe the ethernet drivers - ive read reports of the hp drivers affecting bonding on similar systems)

How do i do that? cmd line switches to the installer?
7 REPLIES 7
Bharath_Pingali
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: How to install plsp & exclude the qlogic drivers?

Hello Jonathan,

I would recommend the following steps if you are using HP storage;
Step 1.

Install HP Qlogic Driver in single path mode;
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=1844104&swItem=co-54962-2&prodNameId=1844105&swEnvOID=4004&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0
Step 2

Install SANSurfer Manager for Qlogic FC HBAs and Qlogic-based FC Mezz HBAs

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=1844104&prodNameId=1844105&swEnvOID=4004&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-54973-1

Step 3

Install Device Mapper Multipath Enablement Kit for HP StorageWorks Disk Arrays

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=co-66308-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

When you have new driver installed on your server I believe that PSP will ignore the driver in its package.

Hope this helps.
-Best of Luck
Bharath
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

If you have a graphical display (GDM) configured, you can get a graphical deployment utility which can allow you to select/unselect the packages you would like to intall.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

As stated, if you use the GUI mode, you can deselect the components you don't want to install.

If you doing a silent CLI installation, there is an .XML file in the csp directory. Near the end of the file the packages to be installed are listed, change the ones you don't want installed from "yes" to "no"

The comment to install the HP multipath kit was made by someone who hasn't looked at the kit. The latest kit v4.01 doesn't have anything in it but a PDF document. RHEL 5.2 includes device mapper components that support HP storage. Older versions of RHEL need the older versions of the HP mulipath kit that sctually includes modified device mapper components.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Bharath_Pingali
Trusted Contributor

Jonathan,
I am sorry to use your post to educate Jimmy.
Hello Jimmy,
I would refrain from talking about others knowledge without verifying your facts.
Please don't mislead others without understanding the whole problem, the bigger problem is a solution that would be supported.
Also please look at the link, the version number is "v4.1.0" and not "4.01".
Again, the driver as part of the operating system is not supported by HP.
I understand the problem that Jonathan has, I also understand that he doesn't want to install the Qlogic driver that is part of the PSP package.
If Jonathan follows the steps described, not only he will skip the PSP's Qlogic driver install, he will be in a supported configuration.
Please read my first line, "I would recommend the following steps if you are using HP storage;"
Hope this helps.
Please dont reply to this posting, I not would waste my time again to reply to your posting.
Take care
Bharath
Jonathan Collingridge
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the help guys.

Hi Bharath,
If I try your above mentioned solution; is there a way of rolling it back to the redhat drivers if it does not work? I have a working (if unsupported) configuration now with the RH drivers, I'm a bit reluctant to try this without an escape plan... Thanks.
Bharath_Pingali
Trusted Contributor

I understand your concern;
Exit plan 1 -
Uninstalling the Qlogic kit should restore the inbox driver back (on the next reboot).
./INSTALL -u
Exit plan 2 -
copy "/boot/initrd.. to /boot/initrd..org"
Backup your current initrd before starting any of the steps.

When exit -1 plan fails, just move initrd├в ┬ж.org to initrd and you will have everything back.
The recommended plan for you would be;
a. Back up your "multipath.conf and initrd"
1. Install Qlogic kit
2. Install GUI
3. Install Device Mapper kit
4. Make sure everything works as expected, if not use exit plan 1 to revert back
5. If everything works as expected, install PSP

Hope this Helps.

-Thank You
Bharath
Jonathan Collingridge
Occasional Advisor

Bharath your solution worked, thanks for your help.
-jonathan