cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to pick EMC luns on RHEL

Highlighted
Frequent Advisor

How to pick EMC luns on RHEL

First time working on Red hat linux , I have a blade server with lpfc cards , what commands do I have to run to pick the luns when storage team present EMC LUNS. EMC powerpath is loaded on the server and I have dual paths.

Also what are the commands to use to create a file system... on solaris we had an issue when we used EMC power devices while upgrading PP ... so please let me know if there is an option w/o using EMC power devices
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: How to pick EMC luns on RHEL

Here is a good doc for configuring the disks under powerpath.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/11477956/EMC-PowerPath-for-Linux-51-Install-and-Admin-Guide

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Can you see the device in powermt display
If not try to run #kudzu
and then see if you can see the devices.

to make a file system you have to first decide what kind of file system you need LVM/VxVM or ext smthing else.
Command would differ in all.

BR,
Kapil+
I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

hi,

before you start to upgarde the PowerPath, read the installation and upgrade guide from :

powerlink.emc.com, you should have a account if you like download the latest powerpath.

also i would check the KB for some issues.

mikap
Highlighted
Frequent Advisor

What I was looking is what command to run to see the luns on lpfc card. I did not get right reply.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Did you mean "scanning for new LUNs or other SAN configuration changes", or "identifying which devices correspond to which EMC disk IDs"?

For the first case, the procedures you need are in this document:

https://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/html/Online_Storage_Reconfiguration_Guide/index.html

For the second case, you'll need the free "inq" tool from EMC, or the SYMCLI toolkit (EMC license required).

All the versions of the EMC "inq" tool are downloadable here:
ftp://ftp.emc.com/pub/elab/inquiry/

If you don't use the /dev/emcpower* devices, you'll not be getting any benefit from the PowerPath software on Linux. In other operating systems, the situation can be very different.

In RHEL 4 and 5, the free alternative to PowerPath is the "device-mapper multipath" package included in the RHEL distributions. I've found it more convenient than PowerPath: because the driver part of dm-multipath is built-in to the standard RHEL kernel packages, you don't have to wait for a PowerPath update before you can install the newest kernel security updates. The dm-multipath RPM contains only the userspace tools and can be updated at any time without causing any loss of SAN access.

https://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.5/html/DM_Multipath/index.html

Any multipath software is going to be a critical piece of your SAN storage environment: when upgrading it, you should definitely read the documentation first. If a specific upgrade procedure is documented, you should follow it *exactly*.

MK
MK