1753925 Members
9046 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Hp UX command to back up in LTO drive in Auto Loader

Shanti Mandal
Occasional Contributor

Hp UX command to back up in LTO drive in Auto Loader

I want to use HP UX command 'fbackup' to back up the folder , can i veiw tape in my sqlab with command
7 REPLIES 7
Georges Esteves
Honored Contributor

Re: Hp UX command to back up in LTO drive in Auto Loader

hi,

could you be more explicit on your need please.

Georges.
Shanti Mandal
Occasional Contributor

Hi George

We have 1/8 autolaoder which came with HP-UX box and we want to backup in our LTO3 media in 1/8 autolaoder. We want to use fbackup command , however I came to know that we need to isntall HP Dtat Protector Express in HP UX box , so that we can schedule the backup policy. However with Autolaoder we got the cd for Linux, we need to have compability with HP UX.

Is HP Data Protector can help us to schedule backup policy like in Veritas Netbackup.

Georges Esteves
Honored Contributor

hi,

first Data protector Express can't be installed on HPUX, so you must use Data Protector instead, but it is not free !

For sure you can do all you want with Data Protector, like you can in NETBACKUP.

To use your autoloader with Fbackup you need to drive your autoloader to load/unload tapes in the tape drive as needed. this can be done with the mc command

Hope This Help.

Rgd.

Georges.

Shanti Mandal
Occasional Contributor

Hi Georges

Thanks for your inforamtion, if we use HP Data Protector. Do we need to load /unload drive in autolaoder.

How much HP Data protector will be helpful for unatttended backup proces .

How to use "fbackup" cmmand if we are able to see tape drive and autolaoder in HP UX

as in my case with ioscan command, I can see

0/3/1/1.4.0 tape HP Ultrium 3-SCSI
0/3//1.4.1 autoch HP 1x8 G2 AUTOLDR

with ioscan -fnC tape

tape 0 0/3/1/1.4.0 stape claimed DEVICE HP Ultrium 3-SCSI
/dev/rmt/c2t4d0BEST /dev/rmt/c2t4d0BESTn
/dev/rmt/c2t4d0BESTb /dev/rmt/c3t4d0BESTnb

I do not know to much about unix.

if you can help to setup fbackup command for backup the Director /BACKUP

it will be a great

I tried lke this

fbackup -f /dev/rmt/c2t4d0BEST -i /BACKUP

Is this going to work for me.?

Jeremy Ruffer
Honored Contributor

Hi Shanti,

fbackup has nothing to do with Data Protector, as far as I know.

You would do better posting the question in the HP/UX forum.

I've never used fbackup myself but your command looks reasonable to me.

Hope that helps,

Jeremy
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

1) DP Express appears to be Windows / Linux only, not HPUX

2) DPExpress Scheduler function won't control "fbackup" as "fbackup" is a separate backup solution. The DPExpress Scheduler works w/ DPE jobs only (I think).

3) "fbackup" is HPUX only, not Windows or Linux, although it can backup files mounted on the HPUX box.

4) Beginning at HPUX 11.31, there were notes not to use "fbackup" to create new archives, as fbackup was depricated. Suggestion was to use "pax" instead. Consult the "man" pages.

5) If you insist on "fbackup", then versions of HPUX that had "SAM - System Administration Menu" had a backup section that would create / schedule "fbackup" jobs. Similar may be available w/ the "System Management Home Page", but I've not used that.

6) "fbackup" and "pax" can both be used to the native "cron" scheduler in HPUX. "pax" is also available in GNU distributions and can be run out of "cron" there as well.

I don't know why you think you need the various components you've mentioned, nor why you think they might in any way be related. Neither "fbackup", nor the autoloader require the presence of DP Express, and its scheduler won't help with fbackup jobs.

===========================================================

"Thanks for your inforamtion, if we use HP Data Protector. Do we need to load /unload drive in autolaoder.

How much HP Data protector will be helpful for unatttended backup proces ."

=====================================================================

7) With "normal" DataProtector (I can't address Express), DP manages tape pools, media moves to / from slots & drives). Its an enterprise class solution, its DESIGNED to do unattended backups.

=====================================================================

"fbackup -f /dev/rmt/c2t4d0BEST -i /BACKUP

Is this going to work for me.?"

====================================================================

maybe, if there is a tape in the drive when the command is issued, and its not in use. try it and see if it gives you what you want.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

Shanti Mandal, in an apparent mis-posting here:

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1220117

said:

"Hi George

after using fbackup command i got warning unable to read volume header.

any idea what's that mean"

==============================================================

if you've never used that tape for fbackup before, I think I'd exect that message. Reading the "man" page for fbackup might be instructive. Does the fbackup complete? If so, can "frecover" read it?