108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp ux ignite make_net_recovery

SOLVED
Go to solution
paul_634
Occasional Contributor

hp ux ignite make_net_recovery

I have a cluster system consisting of two hp boxes using serviceguard. Also installed is opencall and 4 mounted drives. I am going to create a complete backup of the os system using ignite. There is already an ignite server available.
My question is will the command:
make_net_recovery -s myserver -x inc_entire=vg00
copy the entire operating system correctly? if restored will opencall and the mounts work ?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
baiju_3
Esteemed Contributor

Yes , if the applications are installed under file systems in VG00.

Thanks,
-BL.
Good things Just Got better (Plz,not stolen from advertisement -:) )
Alessandro Pilati
Esteemed Contributor

Hi niall,
if your application are on different VGs, then add "-x inc_entire=vgXX" to your command, where vgXX is the Volume Group where your application reside.

Good luck!
Alex
if you don't try, you'll never know if you are able to
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You may choose the destination directory for some applications while installing them. I do not have idea about opencall, but if swinstall was used to install it then it would be lying in vg00 itself. If it has its own executables for installation then it could be installed in some other drives as well and could not be there in ignite backup for vg00.

Just a thought.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Gavin Clarke
Trusted Contributor

I would be inclined to use ignite to restore vg00 and vgimport any other volumes.

I have no experience of opencall I'm afraid.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

The easiest solution is to lay out vg00 as just the OS, no data directories. Then backup the data directories with a more appropriate tool. Ignite is designed for VG00 and while you can specify -x to include other volume groups, Ignite cannot backup files larger than 2Gb and does not have selective restore capability.

As far as the application, like any set of programs, you need to have a map of the file locations. A well-behaved, industry-standard installer will put the executables in /opt/app_name, the config files in /etc/opt/app_name and the logs and temp data in /var/opt/app_name. The data files would then be on specific mountpoints in non-VG00 volumes. But OpenCall may not be this logical and you'll have things scattered about--ask the OpenCall vendor about this.

As far as a cluster, you already have a backup system in your cluster so the question is probably: how to build a new system due to smoke-and-rubble. With a cluster (and mirror disks?), there are additional steps.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin