New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP ux root filesystem full.

SOLVED
Go to solution
sanjay_20
Occasional Advisor

HP ux root filesystem full.

Hi

In my server Hp9000-K series Hp ux 11 is installed .
The root filesystem is in a logical volume. Now the problem is that the root file system is showing 97 % .Its causing the warning message as "root full" & the application like "exceed" is exiting frequently.
Can someone tell me how to extend the root file system size in this condition without disturbing the existing OS & data on it.

Thanks in advance
Sanjay
22 REPLIES 22
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi Sanjay,

The first thing you could check is if someone made an error using a tar command.

# ll /dev/rmt

check if there is a large file omn

check for other large files in /

# find / -xdev -size +1000 -exec ll {} \;

Best regards,
Robert-Jan
Joseph Loo
Honored Contributor

hi,

u may like to look for any core files or unwanted files in the "/" filesystem, cause there is no way of increasing the / filesystem without rebooting (that includes /stand and swap filesystem).

usually, we tend not to dump any unnecessary files in the root directory.

regards.
what you do not see does not mean you should not believe
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

well it might be quicker and easier to look for what may be filling up / file system.

For example, check in /dev and make sure no-one has accidentally created or put a large normal file there. A simple example is where someone does a tar or other such command and specifies an incorrect device, e.g. /dev/rmt/om instead of 0m.
The next place to look is if you do not have /var/adm/crash as a separate file system, do you have crash dumps in there? If yes, then unless they are relevant, remove them.

Another favourite is /var/adm/sw/save, where older versions of patches are saved to be used in the event of you wishing to revert to a previous patch.

Just a few thoughts.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
baiju_3
Esteemed Contributor

Also ,

if /var is not a seperate file system check,

/var/adm/btmp
/var/adm/crash

Thanks,
BL.
Good things Just Got better (Plz,not stolen from advertisement -:) )
Betty Fessler
Frequent Advisor

Another option is to commit patches if the system is stable.
Hoang Chi Cong_1
Honored Contributor

And after you do everything to reduce the root filesystem but the trouble persit,
You have to extend root volume in single user mode. (Recommend make a full system backup before extend)
Regard,
HoangChiCong
Looking for a special chance.......
generic_1
Respected Contributor

You might want to keep a session open to that system as root until you get the problem resolved. That is a pretty full. If it fills up you are gonna have extra reboots :). Make tape recoverying with the interactive option is a easy way to rebuild the system and choose the new correct filesystem sizes/layouts too assuming your disks have enough space to have that flexability. Good Luck.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

In your case, root filesystem does NOT have just OS files and directories. The reason is that an 11.00 version of HP-UX needs about 50 to 75 megs--no more. If your filesystem has a lot more in it, there have been one or more mistakes.

The first is the size of /dev. Do this:

du -ks /dev

It should report less than 200k, more like 80k. If it is MUCH larger then someone has misspelled /dev/null (ie, /dev/rmt/om, /dev/nul or /dev/null2 or soemthing similar) and it would have to be root or a root process (since /dev is 755 permissions). There are no ordinary files in /dev:

find /dev -type f -exec ll {} \;

If there are, move or remove them from /dev. Then there may be application of developer junk left in the / directory 'because it's easy to remember /' These directories do not belong in /...move them. And of course there may be some logfile (NEVER allow logfiles in /) that is growing. Find the culprit(s) by looking for big directories (NOT big files):

du -kx / | sort -rn | head -20

It should look something like this:

69232 /
41080 /etc
38448 /sbin
26680 /etc/vx
21656 /etc/vx/type
10160 /etc/opt
8616 /etc/vx/type/static
6344 /etc/vx/type/gen
5904 /sbin/fs
5400 /etc/opt/resmon

The numbers are in kbytes. These are all OS directories. I suspect that there are other directories at the top of your list that need to be moved. Or there are very large files in / which you can see with:

ll / | sort -rnk5 | head -20

NOTE: You root HOME directory is probably in / (very bad idea). Create a new location for root's HOME (perhaps /home/root) and move all the ordinary files to that location. Find ordinary files with:

ll / | grep ^-

NOTE: Some of those files may be part of some developer's package or a vendor's package. If they are and they are quite large, use symbolic links to move them to /opt.

Enlarging the / directory requires a re-installation (or Ignite/UX which is the same thing) and is normally not needed by managing the / space carefully.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
sanjay_20
Occasional Advisor

Hi to all,

I will let you know the findings of the suggestions.

Thanks a lot
Sanjay