New Discussion юеВ

HP-UX time setting

SOLVED
Go to solution
Yarok
Regular Advisor

HP-UX time setting

Dears,

Since our contry moved into "summer clock" - 1 hour forwards, I would like to set this change in my HP-UX machine. Now the time zone is according to UTC, and there is no out source for updating the time.

BR,

Yaron
6 REPLIES 6
moonchild
Regular Advisor

Re: HP-UX time setting

you can use:
/sbin/set_parms timezone

A list of defined timezones is in /usr/lib/tztab

you can find more info in man tztab.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

You need to pick the correct timezone for your country and export TZ to that value.
See tztab(4).
Yarok
Regular Advisor

Hello,

since the HP machines doesn't receive any synchronization time form out source I used set_parms date_time to define the time (UTC+3).

Then I tried ls -l command and it shows only the MM and the YY of the creation time for each file. No indication of time (Hour:Min) as was before.

I fixed the problem by using the command:

date MM/DD/HH/Mn
Yes
Ent

My questions are:

How can I set the time zone without out sync source?
Is there a way for ls -l to display all the following - YY/MM/DD hour:min ?

BR,

Yaron

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>Then I tried ls -l command and it shows only the MM and the YY of the creation time for each file. No indication of time (Hour:Min) as was before.

This happens for:
If the time of last modification is greater than six months ago, or any time in the future, the year is substituted for the hour and minute of the modification time.

>How can I set the time zone without out sync source?

The timezone has nothing to do with NTP.

>Is there a way for ls -l to display all the following - YY/MM/DD hour:min?

This requires you to modify ls.cat:
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/System-Administration/format-YYmmdd-for-ls/m-p/4523334#M367324

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/System-Administration/list-file-creadted-year-using-ll-cmd/m-p/4479934#M362390

Yarok
Regular Advisor

Dennis,

Do you know what should I set in the set_parms to be the Time Zone for local time which is UTC +3 hours?

I put UTC+3

Is that shuold work for good? I mean even when the local time will changed again to the "winter clock" (UTC+2)?

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Is that should work for good? I mean even when the local time will changed again to the "winter clock" (UTC+2)?

No. The only why it works for good is if you have a TZ value in /usr/lib/tztab that matches your countries particular start and stop times.
You then put that in /etc/TIMEZONE.
And make sure that "date -u" matches UTC time.